My 2040 suggestion

Noan Mousy

Oct 13, 2016, 4:25:33 PM10/13/16
to TypeMatrix User Group

That’s an experimentation about the perfect keyboard for me.

It’s a french Bépo layout but you can imagine this keyboard in Qwerty or Dvorak.
The gray color represent centered physical marker like on the 2030. I love the centered marker, don’t change them!

Why these choice? Because I want :
Full mouse control with a Ibm quality trackpoint like on the Lenovo USB keyboard. (Scroll ring or tactil ring, whatever).
Direct access to cut/copy/paste
Direct access to origin/end and page-up/page-down.
Direct access with modificator key Fn/Alt/Ctrl and the Super key with the palm. It’s one the coolest feature for not
Same size on the right and the left side.

There is some issue and I think that this keyboard is not perfect
Epecially small arrow keys aren’t good. I know. That’s a very bad solution. But I need to access to origin/end with a direct access and for me the right column on the 2030 isn’t good with useless media keys.

If you have any suggestion…

Bee Wee

Jan 3, 2018, 10:02:57 AM1/3/18
to TypeMatrix User Group

I am sorry but I have to disagree!

For 2040 TypeMatrix (or anything sooner) I would very much like a split keyboard (like ergodox).

I never quite managed to learn to type blind –QWERTY- on staggered "normal" keyboards. It just made no sense to me whatsoever. My brain just shut off with the keys that seem to be slapped on by some drunk designer. I know it was a technical necessity for typing machines, but I am not using a typing machine, I am using a keyboard!  Most complaints solved with my ortholinear, DVORAK- TypeMatrix. However the last “crazy” thing I do not understand is why most keyboards seem to think my arms are located on the front of my body instead of on my sides/shoulders. Having the opportunity for a fully split keyboard from TypeMatrix would be great.

I mentioned the Ergodox, I am not quite willing to buy it as I think it is huge and bulky, furthermore I read quite a few reviews complaining about the dumb-cluster reach (need to extend it –hurting), and last but not least: very expensive.

I really like the slim TypeMatrix model (with skin), especially as I often work in flex workplaces, dragging along my laptop and my keyboard. But please, please, just split it…

Noan Mousy

Jan 3, 2018, 2:44:12 PM1/3/18
to TypeMatrix User Group
Hi Bee Wee,

You disagree, but all my propositions aren’t incompatible with a splitted keyboard :)
I am ok with all that you said, but « just split it » isn’t perfect for me, I think that the perfect keyboard have a pointing device integrated like a roller mouse or trackpoint.
If you just have the keyboard splitted then some users don’t have a good shoulder angle. Some foot under the keyboard are needed for be able to manage the height.

This post is old. In fact I have started the build of a custom keyboard.

The first proto is based on QMK with a Teensy++

If you want to follow the build, I will update this :

I have lot of ressource for keyboard here :

At this point, I have the trackpoint fully functionnal and I try to integrate it to a proto keyboard (wich is not a Typematrix layout). I have some Kailh low profile switch for the final build.
After that, I will print my keyboard and considere some upgrade :

- A splitted one.
- A keyboard with an optionnal computer inside (Like a commodore 64)
- A scroll wheel.
- Usb hub.

Graeme G

Oct 10, 2020, 5:35:14 AM10/10/20
to TypeMatrix User Group
I have both the TypeMatrix 2030 and a Ergodox. Things I love about the TypeMatrix is that it was years ahead of everybody else with the ortholinear layout. Something not many people seem to mention is how convenient it is that the TypeMatrix fit over a laptop keyboard and doesn't rest on the keys. I don't know if it is true for all laptops, but I've used my TypeMatrix with about 6 different laptops and it lay perfectly over all their keyboards. The slim size is fantastic and it doesn't slip on the desk at all.

What I wish the next TypeMatrix has is programmable key layout. About a year ago I switched from Dvorak to BEAKL-15. So now I need to emulate my layout in software (not hardware). :-/ The other annoyance of TM2030 is that it is not symmetrical. The right side you have to reach one extra column to get to the Shift key. My Ergodox is perfectly symmetrical, and that makes perfect sense.

Other than that, the built quality of the TM2030 is excellent and the switches feel great. I've used it for about 8 years now, and it's still functioning perfectly.