How-to achieve Alt+Insert key combination

Sebastien COLLADO

Feb 10, 2015, 6:16:23 AM2/10/15
to typematrix...@googlegroups.com
Hello TM users,

 I'm using my brand new 2030 since several days and have found that I can't use keyboard shortcuts using Insert key (= Fn+Delete) (I use Insert key in many of my shortcuts)

Trying Alt+Fn+Delete or Ctrl+Fn+Delete to achieve Alt+Insert or Ctrl+Insert only give me Alt+Delete or Ctrl+Delete.

Anyone ever encountered the same issue ?

Setup I'm using :

TypeMatrix 2030 in 102 mode on Linux with French AZERTY layout.

Thanks for your help,

Best Regards.
Sebastien.

Stu L

Feb 15, 2015, 10:36:46 PM2/15/15
to typematrix...@googlegroups.com
Wrote this quick:

^Insert::
    SoundBeep
    SoundBeep
    Return

!Insert::
    SoundBeep
    SoundBeep
    SoundBeep
    SoundBeep
    Return
*/

Press and hold the Fn key FIRST!  ie:   Fn + Ctrl + Delete  produces 2 beeps.  Replacing Ctrl with Alt produces 4 beeps.

Using Dvorak on Windows 8.

Stu

Reinard Dolleschel

Feb 17, 2015, 12:41:25 PM2/17/15
to typematrix...@googlegroups.com
Hey Sebastien,

Basically on the TypeMatrix 2030 you have to push Fn before Alt or Ctrl, even though it applies to the key after Alt or Ctrl. Ie Fn + Alt + Delete = Alt-Insert, and Fn + Ctrl + Delete = Ctrl-Delete

Hope that helps,

-Reinard

Sebastien COLLADO

Feb 23, 2015, 3:16:44 AM2/23/15
to typematrix...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

Thanks for your answers. I played a bit with the keyboard and the xev command and it seems that the Insert key is correctly sent.

According to xev, when I Press Fn + Alt + Delete, the keys detected are : AltGr + Insert (ISO_Level3_Shift & Insert)

Is the Fn+Alt = Alt Gr hardwired in the keyboard or does it come from my keyboard driver/layout ?

Thanks for your help.

Sébastien

Amyn Bennamane

Jul 31, 2018, 4:31:43 PM7/31/18
to TypeMatrix User Group
Hi all,

This doesn't work. I'm having the same problem as Sebastien: Fn+Alt+Delete actually sends Ctrl+Alt+Insert.

Thanks,
Amyn

Stu L

Aug 1, 2018, 9:01:50 AM8/1/18
to TypeMatrix User Group
Hi Amyn,

Firstly, note that this thread is 3½ years old, Sebastien may not be around. ;-)
Second, I'm using my 2030 in Dvorak mode, but I got the same results in QW and 102. Also, I'm on Windows, so I can't verify what Linux will do.
I'm using AutoHotKey to see what the computer is seeing from the keyboard.
Third, I'm not quite sure what the "same problem" is.

The fn key ONLY works when it's the first key pressed and held down - it will always convert delete to insert or enter to volume down for example. If you want alt-delete, just press alt-delete (no fn).

When I press fn-alt-delete, I get alt-insert, never ctrl-alt-insert.

The only way I can get ctrl-alt-insert is by pressing fn-ctrl-alt-delete - and the delete key is converted accordingly. Note this is using the LEFT control and alt keys - the right ones get converted to Enter and Media_Next if fn is being held down.

If you need more info, please specify operating system, 2030 mode, and exactly what output you trying to achieve.  ;-)

Stu

Stu L

Aug 1, 2018, 9:03:13 AM8/1/18
to TypeMatrix User Group
If the fn key is NOT the first one pressed, it appears to be ignored. (at least in my testing ...)

Amyn Bennamane

Aug 1, 2018, 1:47:46 PM8/1/18
to TypeMatrix User Group
Hi Stu, first thank you for your answer.

I'm a user of Intellij Idea IDE and that has the alt-Insert combination bound to creating a new file. That's also the combination used in VS Code to create a new empty file when the intellij idea keybinding is configured.
Both Intellij and VS Code have a screen where you can type a key combination and see which action is linked to it.
In both, when I press Fn + Alt + Del, it translates to ctrl + alt + Insert. I've just tried again in VS Code and just Fn + Alt becomes Ctrl + Alt.
I'm on 2030 under win 10. Same output occurs if I enable 102 keys or 106 keys mode.

UPDATE: just after writing the above and before hitting send, I had the idea that the layout may be the culprit. Indeed: any of "English UK", "UK extended", and "US international" layouts seem to have this problem.
It doesn't happen with the "US" layout. Good to know that there is a way around it at least. It's unfortunate though that there's no way to trigger the alt-insert combination with the above layouts.

Thanks again,

Sebastien COLLADO

Aug 1, 2018, 4:25:39 PM8/1/18
to TypeMatrix User Group
Hello Amyn, Hello Stu,

I switched my layout from AZERTY to BÉPO some time ago and now everything is working fine. Last update to the French Layout from my Linux distro seems to fix the behavior with AZERTY too.

As long as I start my key combinations with the Fn key, everything is working as intended.

Hope you'll find a solution to your problem too.

Best regards
Sebastien