2030 keyboard disassembly

Pierre-Étienne Messier

Jun 14, 2022, 8:37:58 AM6/14/22
to TypeMatrix User Group
Hi,

I've been using my TypeMatrix 2030 at work since October 2014 flawlessly until recentlty, where the left CTRL and SHIFT keys became harder to press.

I always had a cover on the keyboard since day 1. However, there is a kind of sticky/oily residue on the keys. I was wondering if that stuff leaked on the membrane, so I'd like to open up the keyboard to check. Worst case I can't repair it.

Anyone got successful to understand how to open it?

Thanks!

Pierre-Étienne Messier

Jun 14, 2022, 9:03:39 AM6/14/22
to TypeMatrix User Group
Answering my own post for the answer. I finally opened it up after my post.

You have to remove the small rubber pads with a sharp knife to revel the 6 screws underneath.

PXL_20220614_124157082.MP.jpg

Then you will have access to the keyboard and the PCB (held together with a ribbon cable and a ground wire):

PXL_20220614_124703712.MP.jpg

The keyboard itself cannot be easily repaired. The metal plate is held by plastic pins that were cut off then melted to that the metal plate is attached firmly with the keys.

The membrane layer is between the metal frame and the keys. If we remove the plastic pins to access the membrane, it will no longer possible to reassemble the keyboard again.

I will stop here in my quest to repair my 2030. It's been a pleasure to use, however I will look for something else as replacement as the company seems to be dying unfortunately.

st3...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2022, 6:49:04 AM8/1/22
to TypeMatrix User Group
I disassembled mine about three years ago to clean off water damage. I cut off all the plastic pins and got the thing apart to access the membrane. It went back together fine, the pins help keep it together while it's being installed into the casing but they seem to serve little purpose once it's screwed together.