Timezone survey results

Irene Knapp

Nov 14, 2015, 10:40:20 PM11/14/15
to Type Theory Study Group
Spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Uy6SuvfdAka0qJ6hVBImtqBRtF6GZ2GlOJfCeUrE0VM/edit?usp=sharing

Notice in interpreting the chart that it only counts timezones which got at least one vote, and unfortunately it's not sorting them in an ideal way.

This is based on 33 responses as I write this, which is an excellent response rate, but it should self-update if anyone else answers.  You can do that at:

I don't yet have suggestions about scheduling from this; we have substantial numbers of people pretty much everywhere.

Irene

Mark Farrell

Nov 15, 2015, 3:50:37 AM11/15/15
to Type Theory Study Group
Thanks Irene.

+1 to using UTC offsets as well! :P

Joseph Abrahamson

Nov 17, 2015, 10:40:25 AM11/17/15
to Type Theory Study Group
Thanks for putting the survey out, Irene!

From the looks of it, we've got clusters on the East Coast US and in Western Europe. An earlier time in EST (e.g. 4:30pm) would make timing for UTC+0 and UTC+1 a bit nicer (more like 10pm instead of 1am). It also makes for an early afternoon meetup for those on the West Coast US. It's even not stupid early for AUS. The primary area of the world hit by such a time would be Eastern Europe through Asia which also looks a little underrepresented in the survey anyway.

So let's discuss a ~4:30pm EST (9:30pm UTC) meeting time.

I'd also suggest we consider moving this away from Friday since it'll conflict with people getting out of work and heading out on the town. Weekends might be acceptable and work days could even potentially be acceptable, though it'd be a compromise across all parties since it'll brush into working times.

Ultimately we're going to end up with a compromise position no matter what we choose, but it'd at least be nice to see if there's a solution which solves for a larger swath of problems and then work from there to patch up any remaining issues.

Cheers everyone,
Joseph

Suhail Shergill

Nov 18, 2015, 1:15:50 PM11/18/15
to Type Theory Study Group
agreed, that weekend would be best, but i think another survey might be in order for that.

Irene Knapp

Nov 18, 2015, 1:18:02 PM11/18/15
to Suhail Shergill, Type Theory Study Group
We should figure out if there's anything else we want to ask; I'll happily run another survey, just it should be gathering actionable data.

Irene