Meeting #4: Dynamics and Type Safety?

Mark Farrell

Jan 6, 2016, 8:51:18 AM1/6/16
to Type Theory Study Group
Hi everyone,

I hope your holidays went well. Now sounds like a good time to talk about kicking things off again in the New Year?

Should we plan our next meeting on Chapters 5 & 6 of PFPL - Dynamics and Type Safety?

-Mark

Ilan Godik

Jan 7, 2016, 9:48:18 AM1/7/16
to Type Theory Study Group
It's definitely time for it already.
I suggest doing a meeting on the coming Saturday, 09.01.2015, at our regular time.

- Ilan.

בתאריך יום רביעי, 6 בינואר 2016 בשעה 15:51:18 UTC+2, מאת Mark Farrell:

Ilan Godik

Jan 7, 2016, 9:55:07 AM1/7/16
to Type Theory Study Group
Even though doing it an hour or two ealier would be greatly appreciated for people from outside the US.

בתאריך יום חמישי, 7 בינואר 2016 בשעה 16:48:18 UTC+2, מאת Ilan Godik:

Hendrik Boom

Jan 7, 2016, 11:00:05 AM1/7/16
to Type Theory Study Group
On Thu, Jan 07, 2016 at 06:48:18AM -0800, Ilan Godik wrote:
> It's definitely time for it already.
> I suggest doing a meeting on the coming Saturday, 09.01.2015, at our
> regular time.

I'm new here and don't know what the regular time is.

-- hendrik

> - Ilan.
>
> בתאריך יום רביעי, 6 בינואר 2016 בשעה 15:51:18 UTC+2, מאת Mark Farrell:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I hope your holidays went well. Now sounds like a good time to talk about
> > kicking things off again in the New Year?
> >
> > Should we plan our next meeting on Chapters 5 & 6 of PFPL - Dynamics and
> > Type Safety?
> >
> > -Mark

Ilan Godik

Jan 7, 2016, 11:21:54 AM1/7/16
to Type Theory Study Group
I'm suggesting to do the meeting on the 09.01.2015 at 3:30PM EST.
Does this time fit with everyone?
Who would like to host this meeting?

בתאריך יום חמישי, 7 בינואר 2016 בשעה 18:00:05 UTC+2, מאת Hendrik Boom:
On Thu, Jan 07, 2016 at 06:48:18AM -0800, Ilan Godik wrote:
> It's definitely time for it already.
> I suggest doing a meeting on the coming Saturday, 09.01.2015, at our
> regular time.

I'm new here and don't know what the regular time is.

-- hendrik

> - Ilan.
> בתאריך יום רביעי, 6 בינואר 2016 בשעה 15:51:18 UTC+2, מאת Mark Farrell:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I hope your holidays went well. Now sounds like a good time to talk about
> > kicking things off again in the New Year?
> >
> > Should we plan our next meeting on Chapters 5 & 6 of PFPL - Dynamics and
> > Type Safety?
> >
> > -Mark

Ilan Godik

Jan 7, 2016, 11:24:17 AM1/7/16
to Type Theory Study Group
Or we can do it next week, on the 16.01.2015, so that everyone will have more time to get ready and prepare for the meeting.

בתאריך יום חמישי, 7 בינואר 2016 בשעה 18:21:54 UTC+2, מאת Ilan Godik:

Miles Sabin

Jan 8, 2016, 3:55:20 AM1/8/16
to Ilan Godik, Type Theory Study Group
On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 4:21 PM, Ilan Godik <ilan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm suggesting to do the meeting on the 09.01.2015 at 3:30PM EST.
> Does this time fit with everyone?

That's Friday 8.30pm in the UK ... not a great choice for people in Europe.

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin
tel: +44 7813 944 528

Hendrik Boom

Jan 8, 2016, 8:28:58 AM1/8/16
to Type Theory Study Group
On Fri, Jan 08, 2016 at 08:54:50AM +0000, Miles Sabin wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 4:21 PM, Ilan Godik <ilan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm suggesting to do the meeting on the 09.01.2015 at 3:30PM EST.
> > Does this time fit with everyone?
>
> That's Friday 8.30pm in the UK ... not a great choice for people in Europe.

Isn't it more like Saturday night?

-- hendrik

Mark Farrell

Jan 9, 2016, 10:33:06 AM1/9/16
to Type Theory Study Group
Any volunteers to lead the discussion?

Hendrik Boom

Jan 9, 2016, 11:31:35 AM1/9/16
to Type Theory Study Group
On Thu, Jan 07, 2016 at 08:21:54AM -0800, Ilan Godik wrote:
> I'm suggesting to do the meeting on the 09.01.2015 at 3:30PM EST.
> Does this time fit with everyone?
> Who would like to host this meeting?

I guess I also need to ask how to connect to the meeting.

And whether it actually has been postponed to next week, instead of the
postponement just being proposed as alternative.

And I need to ask whether I am indeed welcome. The introduction I read
said it's for people who are interested in learning, not experts who
want to teach the subject.

Now I already know a lot about type theory. I worked with an
implementation of Martin-Lof's theory in the 80's, trying to base a
programming language on it (with very limited success). I'm also a
member emeritus of IFIP WG2.1, which has had extensive discussions of
typed and untyped functional and other prograamming languages.

Still, I joined this group in order to learn rather than to teach. If I
end up stepping out of line, please feel free to let me know,

And I am learning something from the book -- not the details (so far),
but the overall organisation.

-- hendrik

> בתאריך יום חמישי, 7 בינואר 2016 בשעה 18:00:05 UTC+2, מאת Hendrik Boom:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 07, 2016 at 06:48:18AM -0800, Ilan Godik wrote:
> > > It's definitely time for it already.
> > > I suggest doing a meeting on the coming Saturday, 09.01.2015, at our
> > > regular time.
> >
> > I'm new here and don't know what the regular time is.
> >
> > -- hendrik
> >

> > > - Ilan.
> > >
> > > בתאריך יום רביעי, 6 בינואר 2016 בשעה 15:51:18 UTC+2, מאת Mark Farrell:

> > about

> > and

> > > --
> > <javascript:>.
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/type-theory-study-group/b1acc068-b446-4a0e-a55f-4827a3195259%40googlegroups.com
> > .

Ilan Godik

Jan 9, 2016, 11:41:40 AM1/9/16
to Type Theory Study Group
You are definitely welcome.
There are many in this group like you, coming with one background or another in type theory or programming languages.

We will postpone to next week, because we haven't had enough time to get volunteers for being the discussion leaders for this meeting yet.

What we need for next week:
1. People to participate in the meeting
2. Choose exact time
3. Questions about the chapters 5&6
4. Additional topics for discussion

p.s. We could try doodle or some other tool to choose a time for the meeting.

Ilan.