Benjamin C. Pierce books?

Gary Fixler

Dec 4, 2015, 3:06:12 PM12/4/15
to Type Theory Study Group
What does the group think of "Types and Programming Languages" and "Advanced Topics in Types and Programming Languages," both by Benjamin C. Pierce?

Considering picking them up.

Mark Farrell

Dec 4, 2015, 3:34:29 PM12/4/15
to Type Theory Study Group
I've personally found "Types and Programming Languages" to be a good resource, namely for learning about how to implement interpreters for the untyped lambda calculus, the simply typed lambda calculus, etc.; also for being exposed to some of the "themes" that are of interest when studying type theories & rewrite systems endowed with an operational semantics in general (e.g. progress and preservation, confluence, etc). I haven't looked at "Advanced Topics in Types and Programming Languages", so I'm not sure about that one. I'd probably recommend picking up TAPL myself; from my experiences so far at least, I think it's a good resource to have and e.g. complements the contents of PFPL to some extent.

Gary Fixler

Dec 4, 2015, 4:55:47 PM12/4/15
to Type Theory Study Group
Thanks, Mark.

I'm asking now as today is the last day for the https://mitpress.mit.edu/ sale (code: MITGIFT). Supposedly every book is 40% off through today.

Benjamin C. Pierce books link:

Gary Fixler

Dec 4, 2015, 5:00:26 PM12/4/15
to Type Theory Study Group
Sorry, code: MITGIFTS, and it's still working atm.