Lying black University of Texas PhD student accused of brick assault hoax after racking up $40K from GoFundMe

Black DEI At Work

Jan 22, 2024, 7:05:03 PMJan 22
In article <uojm94$agvi$2...@dont-email.me>
I'm a dipshit <bigtr...@protonmail.com>

A Ph.D. student in Texas was criminally charged after authorities
accused her of lying about being assaulted and then raking in as
much as $40,000 from a GoFundMe intended to help her recover.

Roda Osman, a student in the African and African Diaspora Studies
Department at the University of Texas at Austin, was recently
charged with felony-level theft by deception. In September, a friend
of Osman's started a GoFundMe called "Help Roda Recover" after Osman
was allegedly hit in the face with a brick.

On Saturday, Osman told Fox News Digital she's innocent and that she
is "heartbroken" over the allegations.

Osman posted a video on social media where she alleged that she was
assaulted by a man who asked for her phone number and was rejected.
In the footage, she appeared visibly upset and pointed to a swollen
part of her face.

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/vewXOcpif66Z7GnIWhOPPA--/YXBwaWQ9a
GlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTI0MDA7aD0xMzUwO2NmPXdlYnA-/https://media.zenfs.com/
en/fox_news_text_979/443054584436dd1a0e533f4e8611dd26

"This man just hit me in my face with a brick and all these Black
men just watched, and they don't give a f–k," Osman said.

The video was widely circulated on Twitter and, according to NBC
reporting at the time, the situation, "[pointed] to a familiar
pattern of backlash hurled at Black women when they publicly
denounce harm from Black men."

According to court documents obtained by Fox News Digital, the
Houston Police Department claims that Osman was in an altercation
with a man when she was hit with a water bottle.

"It appeared Defendant Osman and [the man] were in the middle of a
verbal argument when Defendant Osman swung her right hand while
holding an unknown object and hit [the man] in the face," the
documents read. "[The man] then swung his right hand while holding
what appeared to be a plastic water bottle and struck Defendant in
the face."

"The video footage capturing the incident did not support Defendant
Osman's recorded statement."

Police also said they were contacted by a caller who accused Osman
of running a fraudulent GoFundMe in 2020.

The 2020 GoFundMe was reportedly titled "Help Black Muslim Mother
Pay Her Medical Bill," and claimed that Osman was "viciously
assaulted by private security in Minneapolis, sustaining multiple
facial contusions, a black eye and injuries to her leg. She needs an
estimated $5,000 to pay for medical bills, legal fees, a new phone
and more."

The caller contacted the Minneapolis Police Department, but said
that police could not corroborate the alleged assault. Authorities
also spoke with a roommate named Rachel who accused Osman of
scamming in the past.

"Ms. Rachel stated at first they were cool, but that she discovered
Roda was scamming people and she wanted no part of it," the document
said. "Ms. Rachel mentioned the scam Roda took part in by creating
the GoFundMe in 2020 claiming someone hit her but it was a lie."

Osman spoke with Fox News Digital about the allegations on Saturday.
She said that the head injury she suffered prevented her from
knowing exactly what she had been struck by.

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/1I4rF55huSaTuXPHSn86Lg--/YXBwaWQ9a
GlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTI0MDA7aD0xMzUwO2NmPXdlYnA-/https://media.zenfs.com/
en/fox_news_text_979/fd849a4f2f509fc968c5a856d94cb50f

"I'm not guilty…as a person who suffered from a head injury from
blunt force trauma and went online five minutes later for my own
safety, I'm not obligated to remember every single detail
correctly," Osman explained. "That is unprecedented, and it's
dangerous to victim-blame in that way, and to also hold me to a
standard that is not legal."

"I didn't see the weapon he hit me with," the student added. "[A
brick] is what it felt like. And that was the only weapon that I saw
when I opened my eyes and I looked up…so that's what I believe the
weapon of choice was."

Osman also told Fox News Digital that she was being targeted by the
"manosphere," a group of anti-feminist social media users.

"The manosphere [is] targeting me…for speaking out against a Black
man because Black women are supposed to protect Black men from the
justice system," she said. "But I refuse to be silenced when I have
been harmed so brutally."

According to Osman's UT–Austin webpage, her interests include "Black
feminist theory, ethnography, urban social movements, Black
diasporic studies [and] decolonial studies." Osman told Fox News
Digital that the legal situation is making it difficult for her to
focus on school.

"It's a horrible precedent to set for Black women, because Black
women are already unprotected, and we are already silenced," Osman
said. "And this is sending a really bad message to all Black women
telling them that if you are assaulted, and you do not remember
every single detail correctly, you will be criminalized. And that is
awful. And it's a scary, scary thing and I feel so heartbroken."

GoFundMe told Fox News Digital that Osman has been banned from its
website.

"GoFundMe has zero tolerance for the misuse of our platform and
cooperates with law enforcement investigations of those accused of
wrongdoing," a spokesperson explained. "The fundraiser has been
removed from the platform, all donors have been refunded, and Roda
Osman has been banned from using the platform for any future
fundraisers."

Fox News Digital reached out to University of Texas at Austin for
comment, but has not heard back.

https://news.yahoo.com/university-texas-phd-student-accused-
004418115.html