July Newsletter

Goodreads

Jul 7, 2011, 10:59:35 AM7/7/11
to Jennifer Sutton
New books, author interviews, find your next great read!

View this email in your browser

SPONSORED BY

"Anyone suffering Downton Abbey withdrawal symptoms will find an instant tonic." —ALLISON PEARSON
Goodreads

Hi Jennifer,

Here's our monthly newsletter from Goodreads—giving you the latest and greatest in our quest to connect people through reading!

DO GOOD WITH GOODREADS

Donate Books to Kids with the Goodreads Book Club

The right book can literally change a life. We are proud to announce that this summer the Goodreads Book Club has partnered with First Book to donate books to children with the greatest need. For every 10,000 Goodreads members who add A Visit from the Goon Squad to their shelves, we will donate 1,000 books. Help us give the gift of reading—invite friends and spread the love!

Learn more

* Also, don't forget to submit stories to the Slideshow Story Contest by July 15!

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEWS

Sapphire

Fifteen years after her novel Push introduced pregnant, illiterate teen Precious Jones, Sapphire returns with The Kid, a searing coming-of-age novel about Precious's son.

More

Ben Mezrich

A ballsy aspiring astronaut steals moon rocks from NASA in Sex on the Moon, a work of true crime by the author of The Accidental Billionaires:The Founding of Facebook.

More

ASK THE AUTHOR

Janet Evanovich

Calling all fans of the mystery series starring Stephanie Plum! Post a question about Smokin' Seventeen or an earlier book, and vote for the best queries from other readers. Evanovich will answer the ten most popular!

More

IN BED WITH...

Laurie Notaro's Favorite Books Full of Sass

In sync with her cheeky new essay collection, It Looked Different on the Model, Notaro lists five favorite books with attitude.

More

John Hart's Favorite Thrillers that "Run Deep"

The mystery writer shares five novels with characters who transcend the genre, like the flawed hit man in his new book, Iron House.

More

FEATURED AUTHOR GROUPS

Jennifer Weiner

Join the wit behind the best-seller Good in Bed for a discussion of her new book, Then Came You, about getting pregnant, surrogacy, and the pitfalls of modern motherhood.

More

David Eagleman

In touch with your subconscious? Chat with the neuroscientist who wrote Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain and learn about the surprising powers of the human mind.

More

Jennifer Haigh

Get to know the author of Faith—a book about a Bostonian family in a tight-knit Catholic parish that is turned upside down when a priest is accused of abuse.

More

DEBUT AUTHOR SNAPSHOT

Samuel Park

The historical novel This Burns My Heart takes readers to postwar 1960s South Korea for a sweeping love story inspired by the author's ultimate heroine—his mom.

More

MOVERS & SHAKERS

The Map of Time

London, 1896: Characters real and imagined experience the consequences of time travel in this epic work of historical fiction. Even author H.G. Wells jumps through time to prevent a crime against literature.

More

Don't Kill the Birthday Girl

by Sandra Beasley (Goodreads Author)

Food can kill in this eye-opening and humorous memoir by a poet who has suffered from severe food allergies all her life. Beasley describes her subsistence on a strict diet, knowing that any mistakes can be deadly.

More

The Devil All the Time

An eccentric cast of hillbilly derelicts rounds out this literary inquest of evil. Pollock entangles the stories of a husband-and-wife serial killer team, a Bible-thumping but lecherous preacher, and an anguished war veteran.

More

Nothing Daunted

Two well-bred college girls abandoned New York society to become schoolmarms in a tiny Colorado town in 1916. Reconstructing this true story from her grandmother's letters, Wickenden relates their Wild West adventures.

More

Once Upon a River

After her father's violent death, teenager Margo Crane heads downriver on her motorboat through the backwoods of Michigan. She brings a rifle, her father's ashes, and a biography of Annie Oakley—and hopes to find her mother.

More

Texas Gothic

by Rosemary Clement-Moore (Goodreads Author)

Even though Amy Goodnight comes from a long line of witches and psychics, she's perfectly normal. That is, until she's left in charge of her aunt's ranch. Amy begins seeing ghosts in this spine-tingling young adult novel.

More

LITERATURE AT EVERY LATITUDE

Durban, South Africa:
29° 53' S
31° 3' E

The Book of Happenstance

When an Afrikaans lexicographer's collection of conch shells is stolen, a prime suspect is found hanged and a character from her wild past reemerges in this literary mystery.

More

NEW FEATURE

Subscribe to Our Quote of the Day!

Add a bite-sized literary morsel to your morning. We recently launched Quote of the Day! Look for it on your homepage, and you can also subscribe to receive an e-mail version. Enjoy!

Learn more

GOODREADS POETRY CONTEST

Want your words to reach 4 million people? Goodreads and the ¡POETRY! group have partnered to host an ongoing poetry contest. Join the ¡POETRY! group to vote each month to pick a winner from among the finalists. You can also submit a poem for consideration. Here is our July winner!

On Cape Disappointment

Call me Jonah, instead.
I walked the wide rib
of the whale and found this haunted
curve, this other coast.

Yes, I have known continents
their names rise like anthems:
Finback, Sei, Great Blue.

Nights I slide into the sea,
breached by his myth, naked
elements of consequence
swell with explanation;
the krill clinging to my hair.

~

His reasons are simple
as weight. Simply fear
relative to size. He won't talk
equations and will not sing me
his sonorous history.
That is too easy a grief.

Instead he reveals
a black shadow skimming,
the need to kill or be swallowed,
a truth.

~

It's a small story now.
Here on the gray lip of the shore
I carve my own blind migration
in the scrimshaw of words,
a biography that ends
in the answering chord
of his deep blues.

In return I offer harbor
and these elegies,
these whale poems,
dragged like great gray bones
to an empty beach.

Read more poetry

With love,

Jessica, Elizabeth, and the Goodreads Team

P.S. Goodreads is hiring software engineers and a user interface developer!

TRIVIA

Shakespeare's character Puck appears in which of the following?

  1. The Merchant of Venice
  2. A Midsummer Night's Dream
  3. Hamlet
  4. Twelfth Night
SPONSORED BOOK

In a place of beauty, in a time of war, one woman must choose...between love and family. Everyone's talking about The Soldier's Wife by Margaret Leroy. "Stunning and
...utterly beguiling."
—Rosamund Lupton

Available as a Voice trade paperback original.

Add to my books

Want to read more? Set a goal, and Goodreads will help you meet it! You can track your progress and challenge your friends.

Get started

The Diary of Anne Frank Quiz

Question 1 of 10:
What is the place where Anne and her family stay called?

  1. The secret annex
  2. The hidey hole
  3. The secret place
  4. It doesn't have a name

ANDROID APP

Did you know you can add books to Goodreads with the barcode scanner on our Android app?

Get Android app

FIRST READS: Win prerelease books!

Be the first to read new books! We have tons of prerelease books available for our members. All you have to do is sign up and cross your fingers!

More
SPONSORED BY

Snow Flower
and the Secret Fan

From the director of
The Joy Luck Club

Based on the best-selling novel by Lisa See

In Select Theaters
July 15th

Watch the trailer

iPHONE APP

Keep track of group discussions, read and write reviews, and more!

Get iPhone app

FOLLOW GOODREADS

The Goodreads Blog

SPONSORED BY

The only thing worse than finding out your father is a serial killer is him finding out about you.

To unsubscribe from the Goodreads Newsletter, please click here.