February Newsletter

Goodreads

Feb 3, 2011, 10:05:38 AM2/3/11
to Jennifer Sutton
New books, author interviews, find your next great read!

View this email in your browser

SPONSORED BY

A journey to Florida becomes an inescapable nightmare in this supernatural thriller. Enter to win »
Goodreads

Hi Jennifer,

Here's our monthly newsletter from Goodreads—giving you the latest and greatest in our quest to connect people through reading!

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEWS

Karen Russell

A young alligator wrestler tries to save her family's Everglades theme park in Swamplandia!, a fantastical debut novel from a writer of whimsical short stories.

More

Jonathan Evison

A vast frontier tale set in the untamed wilderness of the Olympic Mountains, West of Here connects a multitude of scrappy characters living in two different centuries.

More

NEW FEATURE

iPhone Barcode Scanner

We've added a barcode scanner to the latest version of the Goodreads iPhone app! Now you can scan your home library to add books to your online shelves. Or quickly view your friends' reviews when you're at the bookstore.

Learn more

IN BED WITH...

T.C. Boyle's Favorites: Animals Eating People

Biologists weed out unwanted species in his new book When the Killing's Done, so Boyle turns the tables and shares his favorite stories about man-hungry carnivores.

More

Ruth Brandon's Favorites: Books on Beauty

Her biography, Ugly Beauty, chronicles the life of cosmetics giant Helena Rubinstein. Brandon shares her favorite books that are about more than just another pretty face.

More

SET A GOAL

The 2011 Reading Challenge

Fifty thousand Goodreads members (and counting) have pledged to read more than 3.5 million books this year! Set your own reading goal for 2011. The average goal per participant is 73 books, but you can set the bar as low or high as you want.

Get started

DEBUT AUTHOR SNAPSHOT

Teju Cole

A young Nigerian-German doctor restlessly wanders the streets of Manhattan in the introspective novel Open City. Cole shares some evocative photographs of the big apple.

More

FEATURED AUTHOR GROUPS

Alyson Noel

Chat with the author of Night Star about her young adult series, The Immortals, a paranormal epic starring a psychic heroine who can see auras.

More

Eric Ripert

This top chef shares some special recipes and dishes about his chic New York restaurant and his traveling TV show, Avec Eric. Join the group to view his special video greeting!

More

Adam Haslett

The acclaimed novelist will discuss Union Atlantic, the timely story of a mercenary banker, his McMansion, and a battle of wills.

More

DO GOOD WITH GOODREADS

One Laptop Per Child

This nonprofit has distributed more than 2 million durable, low-cost laptops (designed specifically for kids) to students in need all over the world.

More

MOVERS & SHAKERS

The Fates Will Find Their Way

by Hannah Pittard (Goodreads Author)

Alluring 16-year-old Nora Lindell disappears without a trace. Small town rumors fly—pregnant, runaway, abducted—but as years pass, the teenage boys who admired Nora can do nothing but fantasize about what could have been.

More

Reading Women: How the Great Books of Feminism Changed My Life

by Stephanie Staal (Goodreads Author)

As a college student in Feminism 101, Staal thought disgruntled 1950s housewives were a quaint relic of history. Today, as a suburban mom, she's rereading the feminist classics and musing on fresh ideas for 21st century women.

More

The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore

This gutsy exploration of what it means to be human is narrated by a gifted chimpanzee with a quick wit and a superior attitude. The simian antihero relates his escapades and startling feelings of what might be love.

More

Little Princes: One Man's Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal

by Conor Grennan (Goodreads Author)

Bored at 29, Grennan heads to Nepal in search of adventure; instead he discovers an orphanage of children, all victims of human trafficking. This memoir recounts his efforts to reunite Nepalese children with their families.

More

Madame Tussaud

by Michelle Moran (Goodreads Author)

Young Marie Tussaud's talent for wax modeling attracted royal attention, but when heads started to roll during the French Revolution, the founder of the world's most famous wax museum narrowly escaped the guillotine.

More

Delirium

by Lauren Oliver (Goodreads Author)

The winner of the 2010 Goodreads Choice Award for Young Adult Fiction returns with an eerie story in which love is a curable disease. Lena is eager to receive her treatment at age 18—until she meets Alex.

More

LITERATURE AT EVERY LATITUDE

Hondarribia,
Basque Country, Spain:
43° 22' N
1° 49' W

The Wrong Blood

A wartime secret forges a lifelong bond between two women—a wealthy widow and her servant—who share an aging villa.

More

NEW FEATURE

Hide Plot Spoilers

It's hard not to reveal twists and turns when discussing books. Now you can hide any section of your review or comment with spoiler tags. Readers can click to view at their own risk!

Learn how

EVENTS NEAR YOU

"The Third Miracle" book tour  "The Third Miracle" book tour
dateFebruary 04, 2011 07:00PM
locationThe Regulator Bookshop, 720 Ninth St, Durham, The United States
descriptionPlease join Bill Briggs, author of "The Third Miracle," for a read and sign event. His nonfiction na...

More

Noam Shpancer on tour for the book "The Good Psychologist: A Novel" Noam Shpancer on tour for the book "The Good Psychologist: A Novel"
dateFebruary 04, 2011 07:00PM
locationFlyleaf Books, 752 Martin Luther King Jr Boulevard, Chapel Hill, NC, The United States
descriptionNoam Shpancer on tour for the book "The Good Psychologist: A Novel"

More

Bowman Gray on tour for the book "As a Man Thinketh" Bowman Gray on tour for the book "As a Man Thinketh"
dateFebruary 04, 2011 07:00PM
locationChelsee's Coffee Shop & More, 533 Trade St NW, Winston-Salem, USA, Winston Salem, NC, The United States
descriptionBowman Gray on tour for the book "As a Man Thinketh"

More

GOODREADS POETRY CONTEST

Want your words to reach 4 million people? Goodreads and the ¡POETRY! group have partnered to host an ongoing poetry contest. Join the ¡POETRY! group to vote each month to pick a winner from among the finalists. You can also submit a poem for consideration. Here is our February winner!

"Still Life"

After the painting by Alan Magee, 2001, acrylic and oil on panel, 16x22"

Begin with the one farthest to the left.
When we were taught to read, it was there
we looked, following the letters along
to make words. Can this sentence

be deciphered? Seven bones, unidentified,
though surely the paired ones are pelican.
All the bones, stark white, but not quite,
seem to measure the page: 2", 3 ½", 4 ¼".

Knobbed on each end, you would be hard
pressed to fit this jigsaw together.
The spool at the top of the first,
empty of its thread, scrolls into its length,

marred by a healed-over fracture, finally
to flare into a star fruit at its end.
The second is similar, longer,
but with no spool, no break. The third

bone is pelvic. It once held something's
thigh bones in its pocket. The flat
of the pelvic bone invites me to rest
my finger in its hollow, to smooth my hand

across its descending curve. The illusion
is of a bird with decorative topknot, small
eye, open beak, with one right shoulder
feather leaning forward in a comforting

gesture. Next. Each fine, curved pelican
bone is a slim reed. They could be sewing
needles save for the stoppered eye
at one end. Filled in as they are,

the pupil, iris and conjunctiva
peer out. It is as if these remnants
of time past, all-knowing, watch
from some distance, dare us to say

what they are, name their mystery.
I imagine the artist at oceanside, searching
for inspiration. Were they jutting
from hard sand at the shoreline?

Were they unearthed in soft sand
by a stiff wind? Or did he find them
as he sat, idly digging beside his chair?
Next to the pelican bones is another

like the first but without the spool,
without the break. It is bent
into a spoon bowl at its end. There
are three with spoon ends.

These delicate three are ready to dip
jelly from a cut glass bowl that sits
on a blue cloth atop a small, red table
with gracefully curved legs and its one

drawer slightly opened; the ironstone
knob a mere shade away from the
hue of the bones themselves.
The last is nearly unrecognizable as bone.

It could be a headless bust of a woman;
bare breasts atop a long, shapeless
torso; its back slightly bowed.
I will need far more than a Rosetta Stone
to decode this message of bones.

Read more poetry

With love,

Jessica, Elizabeth, and the Goodreads Team

P.S. Goodreads is hiring software engineers, a product designer, and a customer care representative!

TRIVIA

What is the name of the drug commonly abused by the characters in Brave New World?

  1. alpha
  2. lenina
  3. soma
  4. ford
SPONSORED BOOK

Be inspired by
LITTLE PRINCES, already a Goodreads favorite.

Author Conor Grennan tells how 3 months volunteering at an orphanage in Nepal became a story of hope, faith, and making a difference.

Watch Conor's video »

Add to my books

FIRST READS: Win prerelease books!

Be the first to read new books! We have tons of prerelease books available for our members. All you have to do is sign up and cross your fingers!

More
SPONSORED BOOK

Five years ago, 16-year-old Allison Glenn committed a crime.

Released on parole, she's ready to put that horrible night behind her.

But the past has a way of never truly letting you go...

Learn more about
THESE THINGS HIDDEN! »

Add to my books

FOLLOW GOODREADS

The Goodreads Blog

SPONSORED BY

Click here to learn more and enter to win a copy from HarperCollins Publishers. Add to my books »

To unsubscribe from the Goodreads Newsletter, please click here.