April Newsletter

Goodreads

Apr 7, 2011, 2:30:06 PM4/7/11
to Jennifer Sutton
New books, author interviews, find your next great read!

View this email in your browser

SPONSORED BY

Now playing in select theatres, Us Weekly raves Jane Eyre is, "Romantic, thrilling & often scary!"
Goodreads

Hi Jennifer,

Here's our monthly newsletter from Goodreads—giving you the latest and greatest in our quest to connect people through reading!

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEWS

Jean M. Auel

Prehistoric fiction fans have waited three decades for The Land of Painted Caves, the conclusion to the epic Earth Children series set 25,000 years ago.

More

Ted Dekker

The best-selling thriller writer borrows from the darkest recesses of his imagination in The Priest's Graveyard, a new novel about a man and a woman seeking vigilante justice.

More

IN THE WORKS

Coming Soon: Smart Recommendations

What do you get when you combine the Goodreads database of 100 million book ratings with fancy algorithmic technology? One more way to find a great book! We hope this powerful book recommendation system will enhance our community and be smarter than anything you've seen before.

Learn more

IN BED WITH...

Arthur Phillips's Favorite Plays Within Other Works

The novelist shares a list of works embedded with plays, not unlike his own The Tragedy of Arthur, a "memoir" featuring an undiscovered Shakespeare quarto.

More

Blake Butler's Favorite Surrealist Literature

The David Lynch of books shares his top five works of weirdness in honor of his new domestic dreamscape, There Is No Year.

More

FEATURED AUTHOR GROUPS

Alan Bradley

The mystery writer chats about clever Flavia de Luce, his 11-year-old sleuth. This wee chemist with a fondness for poisons is the heroine of A Red Herring Without Mustard.

More

Megan McCafferty

The young adult novelist will talk about Bumped, her satire about a future dystopia where no one over age 18 can get pregnant and teen breeders propagate the human race.

More

Jim Frederick

The executive editor of TIME magazine and author of Black Hearts joins veterans from the Iraq War to discuss modern warfare and on-the-ground reporting.

More

DEBUT AUTHOR SNAPSHOT

Rebecca Rasmussen

In the novel The Bird Sisters, two spinsters recall the fateful 1947 summer that turned their lives upside down. Rasmussen shares an image of her muse—her grandmother.

More

MOVERS & SHAKERS

The Pale King

Full of grisly and hilarious anecdotes, this posthumous novel relates the mind-numbing boredom of an Internal Revenue Service office. Wallace casts himself as an acne-riddled new recruit among a motley crew of bureaucrats.

More

The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie

by Wendy McClure (Goodreads Author)

Road tripping from Wisconsin's big woods to the banks of Minnesota's Plum Creek, memoirist McClure recounts her obsession with Laura Ingalls Wilder. She attempts butter churning and searches for her lost girlhood along the way.

More

Elizabeth I

Opening in 1588 as the Spanish Armada is poised to strike, this historical novel chronicles the iconic life of Elizabeth I, the Virgin Queen, who weathered a lifelong power struggle against her cousin and rival, schemer Lettice Knollys.

More

Blood Work: A Tale of Medicine and Murder in the Scientific Revolution

by Holly Tucker (Goodreads Author)

A rebel doctor is accused of murder after transfusing a patient with animal blood in this nonfiction, 17th-century whodunit. Superstition pervaded medicine, and the nascent practice of blood transfusion would be banned for 150 years.

More

Friendship Bread

by Darien Gee (Goodreads Author)

One recipe resets a woman's life in this small-town tale. Still reeling from her son's death, Julia receives an anonymous gift of friendship bread. She reluctantly makes her own loaf and shares the batch with new friends.

More

Enclave

by Ann Aguirre (Goodreads Author)

Born underground, heroine Deuce battles zombies who prowl the labyrinth of tunnels below and goes on a dangerous journey of survival with a mysterious boy. Hunger Games fans will love this young adult adventure.

More

DO GOOD WITH GOODREADS

First Book

This literacy nonprofit has distributed more than 80 million books to disadvantaged children throughout North America.

More

LITERATURE AT EVERY LATITUDE

Comilla, Bangladesh:
23° 27' N
91° 10' E

My Kind of Girl

Four strangers stranded overnight in a train station swap bittersweet stories of true love, lost love, and unrequited love in this poignant Bengali novella.

More

NEW FEATURE

Genre Pages

Love historical fiction? Craving a juicy memoir? Check out our genres pages and explore hundreds of sub-genres. From fantasy, try paranormal, and even specify shapeshifters or witches. You can also customize the main page to your favorite categories. Find exactly what interests you, or stumble on something unexpected!

More

EVENTS NEAR YOU

Sandra Beasley on tour for the book "I Was the Jukebox: Poems" Sandra Beasley on tour for the book "I Was the Jukebox: Poems"
dateApril 07, 2011 11:59PM
locationSweet Briar , College, 764 Elijah Rd, 2, USA, Sweet Briar, VA, The United States
descriptionA poetry reading featuring John Casteen (For the Mountain Laurel) and Sandra Beasley (I Was the Juke...

More

Ray Brown on tour for the book "I Have His Letters Still" Ray Brown on tour for the book "I Have His Letters Still"
dateApril 07, 2011 11:59PM
locationBridgewater College, 402 E College St, USA, Bridgewater, VA, The United States
descriptionI will present a paper at the Conference: Working Class Poetry Bridging the Gap Between an Employee...

More

Ray Brown on tour for the book "I Have His Letters Still" Ray Brown on tour for the book "I Have His Letters Still"
dateApril 08, 2011 02:15PM
locationBridgewater College, 402 E College St, USA, Bridgewater, VA, The United States
descriptionI will present a paper at the Conference: Working Class Poetry Bridging the Gap Between an Employee...

More

GOODREADS POETRY CONTEST

Want your words to reach 4 million people? Goodreads and the ¡POETRY! group have partnered to host an ongoing poetry contest. Join the ¡POETRY! group to vote each month to pick a winner from among the finalists. You can also submit a poem for consideration. Here is our April winner!

Riding Backwards on the Train

by S. Jane Sloat (Goodreads Author)
It's not unpleasant: perpetual surprise.
But instead of feeling I'll arrive, the world

appears to pour towards whatever
I'm getting away from. Cows and foliage

blur by and I try to imagine easing
into couch cushions, or the plunge

back onto the bed, quilt whooshing
up from behind. Still, I can't shake

the faint dyslexia reverse riding
brings, the suspicion I'm rushing

assbackwards into the future, kick-me
sign tacked to my spine, a breech

birth with no eye for what's ahead
until it crashes into the past, the inkling

I'm a fool doing the backstroke smack
up against the wall of the pool.

For National Poetry Month, this month's winner will receive a copy of Horoscopes for the Dead, autographed by the poet Billy Collins.

Read more poetry

With love,

Jessica, Elizabeth, and the Goodreads Team

P.S. Goodreads is hiring software engineers, a user interface developer, an advertising operations manager, an office manager, and a customer care representative!

TRIVIA

In Les Misérables, Marius falls in love with...

  1. Eponine
  2. Fantine
  3. Cosette
SPONSORED BOOK

Heart of the Matter

The New York Times Bestseller—
now in paperback from Emily Giffin

"A modern-day Jane Austen." —Vanity Fair

A powerful and provocative novel
about marriage
and motherhood,
love and forgiveness.

Read an excerpt »

Add to my books

Want to read more? Set a goal, and Goodreads will help you meet it! You can track your progress and challenge your friends.

Get started

The Catcher in the Rye Quiz

Question 1 of 11:
What is the protagonist's name?

  1. Atticus Finch
  2. Holden Caulfield
  3. Ponyboy Curtis

FIRST READS: Win prerelease books!

Be the first to read new books! We have tons of prerelease books available for our members. All you have to do is sign up and cross your fingers!

More
SPONSORED BOOK

SECRET DAUGHTER

This #1 international bestseller is the ultimate mother-daughter novel. Highly discussable with issues of family, class and identity, this paperback is perfect your book club.

Watch the author video »

Add to my books

Download the Goodreads iPhone app. An Android app is coming soon!

Get iPhone app

FOLLOW GOODREADS

The Goodreads Blog

SPONSORED BY

Love and marriage—take two! A charming tale of life, love, and second chances from Kristan Higgins.

To unsubscribe from the Goodreads Newsletter, please click here.