May Newsletter

Goodreads

May 17, 2011, 5:55:43 PM5/17/11
to Jennifer Sutton
New books, author interviews, find your next great read!

View this email in your browser

SPONSORED BY
Goodreads

Hi Jennifer,

Here's our monthly newsletter from Goodreads—giving you the latest and greatest in our quest to connect people through reading!

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEWS

Paul Allen

The Microsoft cofounder turned billionaire reveals his early years with Bill Gates and shares the trailblazing projects that are now his life's work in his memoir, Idea Man.

More

Erik Larson

The author of The Devil in the White City takes on history's worst villains with In the Garden of Beasts, his new nonfiction opus about the Nazi ascendance in 1933 Berlin.

More

Geraldine Brooks

Harvard's first Native American student graduated in 1665. Now, the writer who gave us People of the Book recounts his story in the historical novel Caleb's Crossing.

More

NEW APPS

Goodreads App for NOOK Color!

Fire up your NOOK Color with all the social perks of Goodreads that you've come to know and love. Access your shelves, browse reviews from friends and other readers, and search for books. Next time you are deciding what ebook to read, your to-read list will be handy. Our app makes the NOOK the most social ereader available!

Learn more

Android App!

We heard you! Due to overwhelming popular demand, we've developed a new app for all you Android aficionados out there. Search our catalog of 10 million books, read reviews from friends and around the community, and more.

Learn more

IN BED WITH...

Betty White's Favorites

From The Golden Girls to Saturday Night Live, the indomitable actress and now author of If You Ask Me (And of Course You Won't) picks her favorite novels of all time.

More

Dorka Keehn's Top Memoirs by Transformative Women

The social entrepreneur shares her top five female memoirs in honor of her new book, Eco Amazons: 20 interviews with women who are protecting the planet.

More

FEATURED AUTHOR GROUPS

Meg Cabot

The creator of The Princess Diaries spills the details of her new young adult book, Abandon, a modern retelling of the Greek myth of Persephone and the Underworld.

More

One-Day Thriller Panel

Join Michael Connelly, Jonathon King, and Kevin O'Brien for a hair-raising discussion about novels packed with suspense, and how to keep readers on the edge of their seats.

More

Lawrence Block

Ask the crime writer a question about his new book, A Drop of the Hard Stuff, starring P.I. Matthew Scudder, a recovering alcoholic fighting to make it to one year of sobriety.

More

Susane Colasanti

Chat with the brains behind the young adult romance So Much Closer, the story of a genius high school student who is also a fool for love.

More

DEBUT AUTHOR SNAPSHOT

Vanessa Veselka

Bomb threats and terrorist attacks are part of daily life in her scary and yet humorous dystopian novel, Zazen. Would you stay or would you go?

More

MOVERS & SHAKERS

The Sisters Brothers

Two notoriously vicious guns-for-hire pursue their target as gold fever sweeps the 1850s frontier. This darkly comic western follows the brothers' quirky misadventures as narrator Eli starts to doubt their gunslinging way of life.

More

The White Devil

by Justin Evans (Goodreads Author)

When his only friend mysteriously dies, student Andrew Taylor becomes a social outcast at London's Harrow School. Haunted by the jealous spirit of Lord Byron's lover, Andrew is blamed as other students fall ill in this literary tale.

More

Lost in Shangri-La: A True Story of Survival, Adventure, and the Most Incredible Rescue Mission of World War II

In May 1945, an American plane crash-landed in an isolated New Guinea valley. This harrowing work of nonfiction relates how the trio of survivors faced an impenetrable jungle, Japanese snipers, and head-hunting local tribesmen.

More

The Story of Beautiful Girl

For Lynnie and Homan, locked in an institution, love needs no language. Her disability limits her speech, and he is deaf. When Lynnie becomes pregnant, the unlikely pair escapes and hides the infant from the authorities.

More

Faith

Written in the wake of Boston's Catholic Church pedophilia scandals, Haigh's novel imagines the impact on one stoic family when their favorite son, a respected neighborhood priest, is accused of molesting a young boy.

More

What Happened to Goodbye

by Sarah Dessen (Goodreads Author)

After her parents divorce, Mclean and her dad hop from city to city in this young adult novel. At each new high school she claims a new name and personality. But in Lakeview she begins to tell the boy next door the truth.

More

DO GOOD WITH GOODREADS

ChildFund International

This nonprofit is committed to giving aid to children who live without basic needs such as food, clean water, and education.

More

LITERATURE AT EVERY LATITUDE

Marstal, Denmark:
54° 51' N
10° 31' E

We, the Drowned

Wanderlust, passion, and violence abound in this epic seafaring adventure about three generations of sailors from the resilient port town of Marstal.

More

NEW FEATURE

Discussions Tab on
Your Homepage

Now you can toggle between your friend update feed and the latest book discussions. Select the discussions tab to view new topics posted in your groups as well as recent comments about books you've read. Plunge in!

More

GOODREADS POETRY CONTEST

Want your words to reach 4 million people? Goodreads and the ¡POETRY! group have partnered to host an ongoing poetry contest. Join the ¡POETRY! group to vote each month to pick a winner from among the finalists. You can also submit a poem for consideration. Here is our May winner!

Salt

was not always so cheap, so little.
It came grained on my father's back,
scrawled on the blue workshirt
like the edges of waves
fatigue had washed up,
a chart of how high
his prayers had got that day,
how hard the curses had rained down.
You could shake it
out of him, off those shirts
and taste the tired
that he was.

Read more poetry

With love,

Jessica, Elizabeth, and the Goodreads Team

P.S. Goodreads is hiring software engineers, a user interface developer, an advertising operations manager, and a customer care representative!

TRIVIA

Who was Romeo in love with before he met Juliet?

  1. Miranda
  2. Rosaline
  3. Helena
  4. Louisa
SPONSORED BOOK

Now in paperback!
Pearl of China
by Anchee Min

"[A] fresh and penetrating interpretation of Pearl S. Buck's extraordinary life...
An unforgettable
cross-cultural story."
—Booklist, starred review

Add to my books

Want to read more? Set a goal, and Goodreads will help you meet it! You can track your progress and challenge your friends.

Get started

FIRST READS: Win prerelease books!

Be the first to read new books! We have tons of prerelease books available for our members. All you have to do is sign up and cross your fingers!

More
SPONSORED BOOK

The Healthy Home focuses on the most important environment—the home—and common problems there that can be avoided using
simple solutions.

Add to my books

Download the Goodreads iPhone app.

Get iPhone app

FOLLOW GOODREADS

The Goodreads Blog

SPONSORED BY

Enter to win an advance copy & be one of the first to read THOUGHTS WITHOUT CIGARETTES

To unsubscribe from the Goodreads Newsletter, please click here.