International Conference on Social Media & Society (#SMSociety, Toronto, Canada; July 19-21, 2019)

1 view

agr...@gmail.com

May 21, 2019, 5:11:05 PM5/21/19
to twitter-...@googlegroups.com

***Invitation to Attend***

The organizing committee of the 10th International Conference on Social Media and Society (#SMSociety) invites you to visit vibrant Toronto on July 19-21, 2019. The 2019 conference will be held at the Ted Rogers School of Management and hosted by the Social Media Lab at Ryerson University. This year's theme is on “Rethinking Privacy and Trust in the Social Media Age”. Link: https://socialmediaandsociety.org

The conference offers an intensive 3-day program including 8(!) hands-on workshops, full & work-in-progress papers, panels, and posters featuring the latest in social media research (https://socialmediaandsociety.org/2019-schedule/). Our interdisciplinary community brings researchers from a wide variety of disciplines including Communication, Information Science, Management, Sociology, Education, Journalism, Computer Science, Political Science, Health, and other fields. This year, we are honoured to have a highly distinguished scholars as our keynote speakers:

  • Tarleton Gillespie is a principal researcher at Microsoft Research New England, and an affiliated associate professor in the Department of Communication and Department of Information Science at Cornell University. His new book, Custodians of the Internet: Platforms, Content Moderation, and the Hidden Decisions that Shape Social Media (Yale University Press) was published in June 2018.

  • Valerie Steeves is a Full Professor in the Department of Criminology at the University of Ottawa. As the lead researcher of MediaSmarts’ Young Canadians in a Wired World research project, she has been tracking young people’s use of new media since 2000. She is also the principal investigator of the eQuality Project, a seven-year SSHRC-funded partnership exploring young people’s experiences of privacy and equality in networked spaces.

We hope you can join us for this exciting event and contribute to this emerging research area! If you have any questions about the conference, please email us at: a...@socialmediaandsociety.org  or visit our website to register https://socialmediaandsociety.org/registration/

---

#SMSociety'19 Organizing Committee

https://socialmediaandsociety.org/about/