[GSoC Week 13] Android Support for Pants (final)

mateor

Aug 18, 2014, 12:58:17 PM8/18/14
to twitte...@googlegroups.com, pants-devel
Today is my last day with GSoC. John Sirois was kind enough to donate some
time this weekend and get the JarsignerTask and Keystore target merged
into master. If you point Pants at a basic Android app's source code,
it will now output an apk that is suitable to publish to the Play Store
or deploy to a device.

I published a Beta Test version of the sample app we use in the Pants
source tree. If you are a member of the pants-devel or twitter-gsoc mailing
lists, you can opt-in and see the published app [0].

I have a (brief brief) design doc outlining what I believe the project
priorities to be going forward. I intend to continue to work on it on
a volunteer basis [1].

The official project scope was to add Android support for Pants. While
there are plenty of TODOs, this is a sort of project that is never "finished".
Considering Pants can build an usable .apk, I believe we can consider the
project a success. I had a lot of help along the way and would like to thank
everyone who gave me a hand or reviewed a commit. Particular thanks to
@jsirois, @traviscrawford, @cra and @lahosken.

M = submitted to pantsbuild master branch

Week 13 Report:

    * M: JarsignerTask and Keystore target [2]:
Jarsigner outputs the signed apk, which means it is ready to be
installed on a device or to be run on an emulator.

Links:

  All merged into master work can be seen here [3].
  All code reviews can be seen by scanning for my name here [4].

Thanks to everyone on the pants-devel list for their support and advice.

Mateo

Chris Aniszczyk

Aug 18, 2014, 2:18:46 PM8/18/14
to twitte...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your hard work on this over the summer Mateo!

Cheers,

Chris Aniszczyk | Open Source | Twitter, Inc.
@cra | +1 512 961 6719

Mateo Rodriguez (GSoC)

Aug 20, 2014, 10:29:19 AM8/20/14
to pants...@googlegroups.com, zun...@squareup.com, be...@foursquare.com, mate...@gmail.com, twitte...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys.

I am going to take the end of August to work on another project that has been languishing and requires immediate attention. But I will begin contributing some hours again in September.

Mateo

On Tuesday, August 19, 2014 12:31:10 PM UTC-5, John Sirois wrote:
I'm happy to accept chocolate patches from any of you on Mateo's behalf.

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 11:23 AM, Eric Ayers <zun...@squareup.com> wrote:
Thanks Mateo for all your hard work!  We celebrated the end of Garrett's internship with a cake, so here's a cake for you.

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 1:38 PM, Benjy Weinberger <be...@foursquare.com> wrote:
Congrats on a great summer of great code!

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 10:25 AM, 'John Sirois' via Pants Developers <pants...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Thanks you very much for all your work and patience working through reviews.  In particular you navigated a quickly-moving codebase and that was no easy or fun task.

A tip of the hat and a go go go!

--
John Sirois
303-512-3301