Custom Tweet button behaviour: can I capture the click?

Dave The Happy Singer

Aug 19, 2011, 10:27:30 PM8/19/11
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I am developing a web application that will use the 'Sign on with Twitter' pattern. It will also feature Tweet buttons for sharing content.

In the case of signed-on users, I already have their authentication details and authorisation to Tweet on their behalf. Therefore I can build a Tweeting mechanism into my application for a smoother, more fully integrated experience than the Twitter popup share page. However, I would like to take advantage of the familiarity of the Twitter-supplied Tweet button design and its counter, and just capture its onclick to reveal my own textarea/submit mechanism, ajaxing into my server to send the Tweet from my app. My site would fall back to the default Tweet button experience for users who are not logged in.

What I would like to know is: is this possible, is it permissible, and does anyone using this pattern have any guidelines regarding best practice or pitfalls?