Inter-friend replies and direct messages

Bluespark

Jun 1, 2007, 7:04:20 AM6/1/07
to Twitter Development Talk
Something that is quite fascinating about the Twitter is how
complicated it is to message other users.

Quite simply I cannot message someone that is NOT listening to me.
But this is very hard to tell sometimes, especially if this person has
many friends.

So this is only an observation not a real complaint.
1. When I find a friend that I want to send a @friend repy to, I have
to find their name and see if I can find my small icon in their
friends list, at the top it say "this person is a friend you a
following" ideally it should say "is a friend you are following and
is ALSO following you"

2. When sending a driect message via the API, if you send it to
someone that is not listening to you the message response via the API
is still 200 and everything looks ok. Only a suggestion it should say
200 ok, but have a property like success = "not a friend"
It is of course possible to calculate all this via the API but a heck
of a lot of work.

What I find really interesting is the number of people that have
replied to me using @sponno and they are not my friends (i have thoud
this out via some of the Twitter search sites.

Obviously I still love Twitter to pieces. We are not about to roll
out the next Version of Tweetr with some really awesome near features
and replies and hopefully an external dedicated display, very first
prototype running here! This will run off the USB and you will be
able to see your latest Tweet's here. Really excited by all this.
http://www.tweet-r.com/images/display.jpg

John
www.tweet-r.com

Lode

Jun 1, 2007, 7:55:27 AM6/1/07
to Twitter Development Talk
I agree this sometimes means messages getting "lost", but enabling
sending messages to people who are not listening to you would open up
the door for massive amounts of spam. I have already seen the first
spammy profiles appear (who befriend everyone they can find, leading
to lots of people befriending them, and then start bombarding their
followers with links to porn websites), this would just open up the
floodgates.

Cameron Kaiser

Jun 1, 2007, 8:38:27 AM6/1/07
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
> Quite simply I cannot message someone that is NOT listening to me.

This is a good thing! Witness the people with 1e6 friends, and 0 followers,
whose posts consist of "Visit www.spam.invalid its cool"

> But this is very hard to tell sometimes, especially if this person has
> many friends.

This is not. Maybe it should return something other than 200, like a 403
or some such, just to make it clear this isn't valid.

Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * cka...@floodgap.com
-- What you don't know won't help you much either. -- D. Bennett --------------

Alex Payne

Jun 1, 2007, 2:07:41 PM6/1/07
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
I'll start throwing 403 when you try to direct message a non-friend.
Thanks for your thoughts!

--
Alex Payne
http://twitter.com/al3x

Cameron Kaiser

Jun 1, 2007, 3:27:19 PM6/1/07
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
> > > But this is very hard to tell sometimes, especially if this person has
> > > many friends.
> >
> > This is not. Maybe it should return something other than 200, like a 403
> > or some such, just to make it clear this isn't valid.
>
> I'll start throwing 403 when you try to direct message a non-friend.
> Thanks for your thoughts!

Perfect! Thank you!

Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * cka...@floodgap.com

-- A pedestal is as much a prison as any small, confined space. -- G. Steinem -

Bluespark

Jun 2, 2007, 12:26:27 AM6/2/07
to Twitter Development Talk
@alex (aghghg I am Twitterfying my emails now)

Throwing a 403 might work fine, but please return a message in the
body because silly flash/flex/apollo cannot read the response headers
(this is really silly).
Cool stuff. John

On Jun 1, 11:07 am, "Alex Payne" <a...@al3x.net> wrote:
> I'll start throwing 403 when you try to direct message a non-friend.
> Thanks for your thoughts!
>

> On 6/1/07, Cameron Kaiser <spec...@floodgap.com> wrote:
>

> > > Quite simply I cannot message someone that is NOT listening to me.
>
> > This is a good thing! Witness the people with 1e6 friends, and 0 followers,

> > whose posts consist of "Visitwww.spam.invalidits cool"

> > > But this is very hard to tell sometimes, especially if this person has
> > > many friends.
>
> > This is not. Maybe it should return something other than 200, like a 403
> > or some such, just to make it clear this isn't valid.
>
> > --
> > ------------------------------------ personal:http://www.cameronkaiser.com/--

> > Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems *www.floodgap.com* ckai...@floodgap.com

Bluespark

Jun 5, 2007, 4:55:10 AM6/5/07
to Twitter Development Talk
Hi Alex,

Justing finishing off my Direct message part for Tweetr. I did notice
this.

Bad User (yay)
"Recipient user not found." that is really cool very happy with that.

But something that is really funny (and maybe not that important) but
you should be able to send a direct message to your self?

If I try to send a direct message to myself then it blows says this"
"Can't send direct messages to users who aren't your friend.

User should be able to send message's to them selves and this may be a
really interesting mechanism in the future to leverage Twitter (eg I
currently would send direct messages to myself to bookmark links.

I thought I might just note this, I know you guys have a lot of stuff
going on but if it was easy, who knows.

Cheers, John.

Bluespark

Jun 5, 2007, 6:12:16 AM6/5/07
to Twitter Development Talk
(ops sorry for so much posting just put lots of work into the next
version with Replies and Direct message views).

I noticed I can send a direct message to a friend in my list (this
friend does not have me in his list), and I get a success in the
returned xml and not an error response, but in this case because I was
the other friend, I know the direct message does not get through.

So currently your API response is not validating that the
recipient_screen_name in a friend of sender_screen_name.

Again no real big issue, but it would mean it would be really easy for
people to send tweets and they would vanish with no notification.

Cheers Alex. Maybe I should fly up to San Fran for a week and hang
out in the Twitter verse, now that would be cool..

jb.

Alex Payne

Jun 5, 2007, 2:11:48 PM6/5/07
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the suggestions, jb. They'll be fixed in the next deploy.

Bluespark

Jun 7, 2007, 1:07:34 AM6/7/07
to Twitter Development Talk
Hi Alex,

I was just testing sending a message to myself a new direct message
using the API, I do get a success now, Yay. But I dont get any direct
messages when I go to
http://twitter.com/direct_messages
My guess is that they are not being saved when they are from and to
the same user now.

Cheers heaps,
jb.