Twitter app marked "inactive"?

luis, syndeomedia

Nov 21, 2009, 9:28:34 PM11/21/09
to Twitter Development Talk
Hey all,

My Twitter app "Listerine" has been marked "inactive" in my
oauth_clients page and I don't know why. (http://twitter.com/
oauth_clients/details/45072) Could someone shed some light on this
please?

:luis

Brian Sutorius

Nov 23, 2009, 12:46:45 PM11/23/09
to Twitter Development Talk
Hey Luis,
Your OAuth token has been suspended. For more information about this,
please write to a...@twitter.com and I'll be happy to talk with you.

Brian

Andrew Badera

Nov 23, 2009, 8:34:43 PM11/23/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Could you help educate the rest of the community as to what might
cause that to happen, so we can avoid it?

Thanks-
∞ Andy Badera
+1 518-641-1280 Google Voice
∞ This email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private
∞ Google me: http://www.google.com/search?q=andrew%20badera

Brian Sutorius

Nov 24, 2009, 1:11:46 PM11/24/09
to Twitter Development Talk
OAuth tokens are suspended when the applications break our API Rules,
API Terms of Service, Twitter Rules, or Twitter Terms of Service. I
understand that four separate documents can be a lot to keep up with,
but I've put them at the bottom of this post for your convenience. To
ask any questions about these rules as they apply to application
behavior, simply email a...@twitter.com .

Thanks!
Brian

http://twitter.com/apirules
http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Terms-of-Service
http://help.twitter.com/forums/26257/entries/18311
http://twitter.com/terms

Michael Steuer

Nov 24, 2009, 1:24:03 PM11/24/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for providing all 4 links Brian...

So why was Listerine blocked? I tried out the app once and didn't
necessarily see any behavior that was objectionable based on the link you
sent?

On 11/24/09 10:11 AM, "Brian Sutorius" <bsut...@twitter.com> wrote:

> OAuth tokens are suspended when the applications break our API Rules,
> API Terms of Service, Twitter Rules, or Twitter Terms of Service. I
> understand that four separate documents can be a lot to keep up with,
> but I've put them at the bottom of this post for your convenience. To
> ask any questions about these rules as they apply to application
> behavior, simply email a...@twitter.com .
>
> Thanks!
> Brian
>
> http://twitter.com/apirules
> http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Terms-of-Service
> http://help.twitter.com/forums/26257/entries/18311
> http://twitter.com/terms
>
> On Nov 23, 5:34 pm, Andrew Badera <and...@badera.us> wrote:
>> Could you help educate the rest of the community as to what might
>> cause that to happen, so we can avoid it?
>>
>> Thanks-
>> ƒ Andy Badera
>> ƒ +1 518-641-1280 Google Voice
>> ƒ This email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private
>> ƒ Google me:http://www.google.com/search?q=andrew%20badera

Andrew Badera

Nov 24, 2009, 1:28:27 PM11/24/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Brian. As Michael asked, can we get any specifics on why
Listerine was blocked?

∞ Andy Badera
+1 518-641-1280 Google Voice
∞ This email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private
∞ Google me: http://www.google.com/search?q=andrew%20badera

Brian Sutorius

Nov 24, 2009, 7:48:05 PM11/24/09
to Twitter Development Talk
Listerine was temporarily suspended pending a conversation between the
developer and the owners of the registered mark "Listerine." This was
a rare case, so if you do have any specific questions about
objectionable application behavior as outlined in our policies, don't
hesitate to email us at a...@twitter.com :)

Brian

On Nov 24, 10:24 am, Michael Steuer <mste...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for providing all 4 links Brian...
>
> So why was Listerine blocked? I tried out the app once and didn't
> necessarily see any behavior that was objectionable based on the link you
> sent?

Andrew Badera

Nov 24, 2009, 9:46:48 PM11/24/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Gotcha, thanks for the info Brian.

∞ Andy Badera

Zac Bowling

Nov 25, 2009, 2:11:50 PM11/25/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
I hope OAuth suspensions are rare in general. It could drive a few devs back to Basic Auth if they fear disconnection. :-)
Zac Bowling

Zac Bowling

Nov 25, 2009, 3:40:38 PM11/25/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
I hope OAuth suspensions are rare in general. Wouldn't want to drive any devs back to Basic Auth if they fear disconnection. :-)

Zac Bowling

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Jan 12, 2010, 1:12:34 AM1/12/10
to Twitter Development Talk
Well, it seems three of my applications have been inactivated. I
checked through the four rule sets and I don't think I'm violating any
of them, at least not deliberately. I am doing a fair amount of
testing, so I do get rate limited from time to time, especially when
testing the rate limiting response mechanisms. ;-)

The only other thing I can think of is that I've got four
applications, and I really could combine three of them into one. I
need at least two, because most of them are read-only and I don't
wan't to authorize writes for those. Curiously enough, it's the three
read-only ones that got inactivated.