geolocation API update

33 views
Skip to first unread message

Raffi Krikorian

unread,
Oct 1, 2009, 3:52:42 PM10/1/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com, twitter-ap...@googlegroups.com
as some of you may have already noticed, we've started going through the first steps to get the geolocation API out our door.  there are a few more steps in the process that i want to share with all of you.

if you start to pull status objects through the API, you'll notice that, for the majority of them, there is an empty <geo/> tag and for the user objects there is a <geo_enabled> tag that is set to false.  i say most, because, if you pull my user object


you'll see that <geo_enabled> is true for me, and if you pull one of my statuses from yesterday


then you'll see a fully populated <geo> object at the end of that status.

<status>
  ...
  <geo xmlns:georss="http://www.georss.org/georss">
    <georss:Point>37.780300 -122.396900</georss:Point>
  </geo>
</status>

for clarification: the <geo_enabled> will always be in a user object reflecting whether the user has opted-into the geolocation API.  there will also always be a <geo> tag in the status object regardless of whether there is a location attached to the tweet or not.  if there is no location, then the tag will be empty.  if there is a location (as above), then the tag will be populated.

just to lay out a timeline -- we've deployed for internal testing, and soon we'll be turning this on for the general audience.

--
Raffi Krikorian
Twitter Platform Team




Message has been deleted

LucaPost

unread,
Oct 2, 2009, 8:44:12 AM10/2/09
to Twitter Development Talk
I tried this with the search API, json version (
http://search.twitter.com/search.atom?lang=en&q=devo)
but did not see get any geo sub-object... is it on only for atom
output or ..?!?

™hanks,ciao



On Oct 1, 9:52 pm, Raffi Krikorian <ra...@twitter.com> wrote:
> as some of you may have already noticed, we've started going through  
> the first steps to get the geolocation API out our door.  there are a  
> few more steps in the process that i want to share with all of you.
>
> if you start to pull status objects through the API, you'll notice  
> that, for the majority of them, there is an empty <geo/> tag and for  
> the user objects there is a <geo_enabled> tag that is set to false.  i  
> say most, because, if you pull my user object
>
> curlhttp://twitter.com/users/show/raffi.xml
>
> you'll see that <geo_enabled> is true for me, and if you pull one of  
> my statuses from yesterday
>
> curlhttp://twitter.com/statuses/show/4512367904.xml

Brian

unread,
Oct 2, 2009, 9:41:43 AM10/2/09
to Twitter Development Talk
Raffi,

Could you tell me if the existing Twitter radius advanced searching
will be tweaked to include those tweets with <geo> tags within the
enclosed location?

Thanks,
brian

On Oct 1, 3:52 pm, Raffi Krikorian <ra...@twitter.com> wrote:
> as some of you may have already noticed, we've started going through  
> the first steps to get the geolocation API out our door.  there are a  
> few more steps in the process that i want to share with all of you.
>
> if you start to pull status objects through the API, you'll notice  
> that, for the majority of them, there is an empty <geo/> tag and for  
> the user objects there is a <geo_enabled> tag that is set to false.  i  
> say most, because, if you pull my user object
>
> curlhttp://twitter.com/users/show/raffi.xml
>
> you'll see that <geo_enabled> is true for me, and if you pull one of  
> my statuses from yesterday
>
> curlhttp://twitter.com/statuses/show/4512367904.xml

Raffi Krikorian

unread,
Oct 2, 2009, 10:00:06 AM10/2/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com, Twitter Development Talk
Hi.

This will show up in search also - we're still in the process of
rolling that out.

Thanks!

Raffi Krikorian

unread,
Oct 2, 2009, 10:57:07 AM10/2/09
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian.

Yup - that's currently the plan.

hitekconsulting.com

unread,
Oct 2, 2009, 12:06:25 PM10/2/09
to Twitter Development Talk
This is great news!

On Oct 1, 3:52 pm, Raffi Krikorian <ra...@twitter.com> wrote:
> as some of you may have already noticed, we've started going through  
> the first steps to get the geolocation API out our door.  there are a  
> few more steps in the process that i want to share with all of you.
>
> if you start to pull status objects through the API, you'll notice  
> that, for the majority of them, there is an empty <geo/> tag and for  
> the user objects there is a <geo_enabled> tag that is set to false.  i  
> say most, because, if you pull my user object
>
> curlhttp://twitter.com/users/show/raffi.xml
>
> you'll see that <geo_enabled> is true for me, and if you pull one of  
> my statuses from yesterday
>
> curlhttp://twitter.com/statuses/show/4512367904.xml
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages