Cassie + Cassandra thrift versions

Denny

Dec 14, 2012, 1:38:55 PM12/14/12
to twitter...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I am using Cassie in a project that is also using "org.apache.cassandra" % "cassandra-all" % "1.1.7", which I need to run a MapReduce job over Cassandra. However, it seems like the thrift versions are different, and I am getting an error from Cassie. Cassandra uses libthrift 0.7.0, Cassie uses 0.5.0. If I manually include 0.5.0 Cassie works, but my other Cassandra code stops working.  How do I go about resolving this? I don't mind compiling an including jars myself, but I've spend countless hours debugging this and haven't figured out a way to get both to work.

2012-12-14 18:22:11,763 ERROR [com.twitter.cassie.ClusterRemapper$] error mapping ring
java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError: org/apache/cassandra/finagle/thrift/Cassandra$Client
at org.apache.cassandra.finagle.thrift.Cassandra$ServiceToClient$2.apply(Cassandra.java:2916) ~[cassie-core-0.25.0.jar:na]
at org.apache.cassandra.finagle.thrift.Cassandra$ServiceToClient$2.apply(Cassandra.java:2911) ~[cassie-core-0.25.0.jar:na]

Ryan King

Dec 17, 2012, 1:54:55 PM12/17/12
to twitter...@googlegroups.com
We're pretty tied to thrift 0.5.0 for now, since that's what finagle depends on.

-ryan
--
@rk / theryanking.com

Denny Britz

Dec 17, 2012, 2:01:00 PM12/17/12
to twitter...@googlegroups.com
I see. How difficult is it to build Cassie manually using libthrift 0.7.0? It seems like there is no build script and the maven file includes Twitter-internal dependencies.
--
Best,
Denny

Ryan King

Dec 17, 2012, 2:22:36 PM12/17/12
to twitter...@googlegroups.com
Maven is our build system. We're working to fix the problem where it
includes internal dependencies.

Cassie doesn't depend on thrift 0.5.0 directly, it only does it via
finagle. So you'd have to re-built finagle on top of the newer version
of thrift.

As you've noticed thrift introduced backwards-incompatible changes
somewhere between 0.5.0 (this is why we haven't upgraded), so the
re-build might be non-trivial.

-ryan
--
@rk / theryanking.com

Denny Britz

Dec 17, 2012, 2:26:00 PM12/17/12
to twitter-cassie
Makes sense, thanks for your help, I'll give it a try.
--
Best,
Denny