bower.herokuapp.com serving https urls instead of git urls

Jelmer Kuperus

Apr 19, 2016, 5:06:37 PM4/19/16
to bower
Hi

I am wondering if the package files hosted on bower.herokuapp.com where recently changed

For instance

{"name":"jquery","url":"https://github.com/jquery/jquery-dist.git"}

Where in the past, or at least as early as end of last year (way back machine url : https://web.archive.org/web/20150922021845/https://bower.herokuapp.com/packages/jquery) it seems to have returned

{"name":"jquery","url":"git://github.com/jquery/jquery.git","hits":14384544}

This caused issues for us because GitHubResolver treats https repositories as non public repositories
See the code at https://github.com/bower/bower/blame/master/lib/core/resolvers/GitHubResolver.js#L33

For public repositories it will first try and download a zip archive and only when that fails will it try to do a checkout

For non public repositories it will always do a checkout.

However in some instances the contents of the zips is a lot different from what you get with a checkout. So I suspect this caused our build to fail. Was this recently changed? and if so have you considered that because of the logic in the GithubResolver this can have far reaching consequences?

--Jelmer

Jelmer Kuperus

Apr 19, 2016, 5:26:59 PM4/19/16
to bower