Happy birthday + future/roadmap ?

Erkan Yilmaz

Nov 14, 2015, 12:00:54 PM11/14/15
to twister-users
Happy birthday!

RT @myleneb To celebrate 2 years of #twister @mfreitas will you take a little time to tell us how you consider Twister's future ?
RT @kseistrup the zeroth block was mined 2013-11-14T01:57:35Z

@erkan_yilmaz

Miguel Freitas

Nov 16, 2015, 7:57:57 AM11/16/15
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
Hi Erkan,

I believe most important landmarks for twister's roadmap have already been put...

I mean, to start, we obviously need to increase userbase. That won't happen if we stay mostly linux-based.

A good windows installer, that also manages running twister as a service when computer boots, is a first and easy candidate.

Then, a mobile client. We already cross-compile twisterd for android and ios, but packing it nicely with a good (native) UI is still missing.

The last nice client to foster usage would be the web-only client. We have already most of support implemented in twisterd (commands exposing raw data without crypto/authentication), a nodejs proxy prototype (to handle limiting traffic for some commands etc) and working javascript crypto. Still to decide: policy to allow torrent joining requests (to prevent server DoS) and packing client as a browser extension (to ensure code authenticity).

Ideas on improving user registration in general (fighting massive registrations) are important as well, but i don't currently see these as the most impeding factor.

These as just a few thoughts anyway, of course i might be overlooking a lot of cool ideas!

regards,

Miguel

Cathal (Phone)

Nov 16, 2015, 8:10:19 AM11/16/15
to twiste...@googlegroups.com, Miguel Freitas
Didn't someone make a Golang router rewrite? How hard would it be to built a client out of that? Because then you'd have instant deploy to Winmac, and support is growing for Android and MacThing compilation. Right now there's no UI framework for Android so it'd be Java bindings, but using the Golang backend for all the heavy lifting.

May I ask: is there any plan to extend the DHT with some sort of Pub/Sub, and with the NoStore BEP for mobile DHT nodes to indicate they shouldn't route or be contacted? Performance and speed are crucial for a microstatus network, but preserving bandwidth and battery are crucial for mobile users. Measures to speed up fetch operations and reduce DHT traversal are necessary, suggesting either hosted routers or pub/sub over DHT?

Miguel Freitas

Nov 16, 2015, 8:26:48 AM11/16/15
to Cathal (Phone), twiste...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 11:10 AM, Cathal (Phone) <cathal...@cathalgarvey.me> wrote:
Didn't someone make a Golang router rewrite?

Not really, it is just a network crawler + dns server.

How hard would it be to built a client out of that? Because then you'd have instant deploy to Winmac, and support is growing for Android and MacThing compilation. Right now there's no UI framework for Android so it'd be Java bindings, but using the Golang backend for all the heavy lifting.

I don't see much gain in rewriting the whole core code instead of focusing on the missing pieces (UI + installer + packaging etc). The twisterd is already ported to android and it works solid (some strategy is required to putting it to sleep so it doesn't burn the battery, but this is very minor).

windows port of twisterd also works solid (i've already provided virtual images preconfigured to perform cross-compilation). same for mac port. this is definitely not an issue, but if one wants to reimplement the whole thing... i'd never try to stop him ;-)

May I ask: is there any plan to extend the DHT with some sort of Pub/Sub,

I've never thought of that, so from my part, no plans.

and with the NoStore BEP for mobile DHT nodes to indicate they shouldn't route or be contacted?

Is there such BEP for bittorrent?

Performance and speed are crucial for a microstatus network, but preserving bandwidth and battery are crucial for mobile users. Measures to speed up fetch operations and reduce DHT traversal are necessary, suggesting either hosted routers or pub/sub over DHT?

Sure. These are all very important issues.

I think that not joining DHT for storage must be easy (from a cursory thinking, i don't know if any extension would be necessary). Then there is the issue of downloading the whole blockchain, we may surely do better for mobile.

regards,

Miguel

1776

Aug 8, 2016, 7:16:48 PM8/8/16
to twister-users
Following up on this, the Android and iOS clients are critical.  Native gui, packaged up, open-sourced.  Easy for non-techies to install and use.
What do you all think about crowd funding development of a lightweight client for iOS and Android?  I would gladly contribute to that, I suspect others would to.  Raising thousands of dollars/euros wouldn't be difficult.  What about BountySource?  (vs GoFundMe or one of the others).

Thanks!

1776

Aug 8, 2016, 7:38:47 PM8/8/16
to twister-users
One followup:

If we were to set up a bountysource for iOS and Android, it appears that it wants a github URL for specifications.  If we can set up the specifications for it on there, it will be easy to setup a bounty.

Would it make sense to make the issues under the main Twister github page?

Amr

Jan 19, 2018, 2:16:09 PM1/19/18
to twister-users
Hi
I am an iOS developer and would like to help building the iOS client for Twister. Did anybody already started that effort, or should I start a new repo in github?

Miguel Freitas

Jan 19, 2018, 4:41:46 PM1/19/18
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
Hi Amr!

The twister-core has been ported to iOS already, as you may see in this changelog here (merged):

There you may also find complete build instructions.

I'm not aware of any iOS client frontend, so please yes: feel free to start a new repo!

regards,

Miguel

Amr Aboelela

Jan 19, 2018, 5:08:26 PM1/19/18
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
Ok
I will start a new one (God welling). I need help though developing a light-core for Twister which doesn’t run as a Bitcoin node but just as a wallet. And any needed user info by the client we should be able to get it, not from a centralized server, but from the DHT network. Now if the DHT network doesn’t have all the data we need then we should find a mechanism to duplicate the needed data from the blockchain to the DHT nodes.

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to twister-user...@googlegroups.com.

Amr

Jan 19, 2018, 5:45:23 PM1/19/18
to twister-users
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to twister-user...@googlegroups.com.

Frédéric JOUVIN

Jan 13, 2020, 11:37:28 PM1/13/20
to twister-users
Hello Miguel,

Where can we find documentation on how to use the experimental functionnality allowing to add attachments to posts with bittorrent magnets ?

Kind regards,

Frédéric

Miguel Freitas

Jan 14, 2020, 3:49:49 PM1/14/20
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 2:37 AM Frédéric JOUVIN <frederi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Miguel,

Where can we find documentation on how to use the experimental functionnality allowing to add attachments to posts with bittorrent magnets ?

It is documented here:

regards,

Miguel