Android and iOS lightweight clients

1776

Aug 8, 2016, 7:09:47 PM8/8/16
to twister-dev
Hi,
I am curious as to the status of the Android and iOS lightweight clients?  It seems that those are the main stumbling blocks to wider adoption.  Out of the box ready to go apps for Android, iOS, Windows and Mac. Just download and run.  For example, with the talk in the last few months about Twitter censoring content (and Facebook too) and Twitter definitely banning people from rapper Azelia Banks to Milo Y (@nero) the time is ripe for people to leave Twitter.

So my thoughts/questions:
1. I have been attempting to find the status and it appears that the tools are there or maybe nearly there so it wouldn't all have to be built from the ground up.  Is that an accurate understanding?

2. Certainly light weight clients are almost required for mobile devices to avoid terrible battery and data usage.

3. What do you all think about crowd funding development for iOS and Android?  I would gladly contribute to that, I suspect others would to.  Raising thousands of dollars/euros wouldn't be difficult.  What about BountySource?  (vs GoFundMe or one of the others).

Comments?

1776

Aug 8, 2016, 7:12:24 PM8/8/16
to twister-dev
p.s.  Obviously whatever was crowd funded, would want to be open-sourced.

1776

Aug 8, 2016, 7:13:29 PM8/8/16
to twister-dev
p.p.s.  Native gui for iOS and Android, has to be easy for the non-tech user.

Miguel Freitas

Aug 9, 2016, 9:27:25 AM8/9/16
to twist...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 8:09 PM, 1776 <cr1...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
I am curious as to the status of the Android and iOS lightweight clients?  It seems that those are the main stumbling blocks to wider adoption.

Agreed!

So my thoughts/questions:
1. I have been attempting to find the status and it appears that the tools are there or maybe nearly there so it wouldn't all have to be built from the ground up.  Is that an accurate understanding?

The core part (twisterd, written in c++) is ported and natively compiled for both Android and iOS. So it is really a matter of GUI and packaging, yes.

2. Certainly light weight clients are almost required for mobile devices to avoid terrible battery and data usage.

Right. But it doesn't seem too complicated. The core is happily suspended with simple unix signals, so an strategy of putting it to sleep when screen is turned off (+ waking it up periodically) seems quite feasible.

3. What do you all think about crowd funding development for iOS and Android?  I would gladly contribute to that, I suspect others would to.  Raising thousands of dollars/euros wouldn't be difficult.  What about BountySource?  (vs GoFundMe or one of the others).

It seems a good idea. However i'm somewhat skeptical about stray developers monitoring these channels for bounties. Perhaps if one finds a developer (or small firm) who puts a price on such development, the crowd funding could then be set with a goal and the firm commitment of someone to do it.

regards,

Miguel