[The Twin Invasion] Twin Confusion

Gene

Nov 30, 2005, 11:33:58 PM11/30/05
to twinin...@googlegroups.com
I am forever amazed at how little people know about babies - twins in particular. Sure, not everyone has twins. And I admit I didn't know much about babies before I had them. But how is it that some among us lack the most basic baby knowledge?

Boys have boy haircuts and wear clothes with trucks on them. Their clothes will assuredly not be pink. Girls wear pink and their clothes have flowers on them. A girl could be mistaken for a boy when the girl hasn't grown more hair than the boy sitting next to her. However, any pink is a clear indication of a girl.

When you're out with babies, people, especially older women, feel free to stop you to talk to you. I suppose this happens to anyone with a newborn, but the excitement doubles when they see it's twins.

"Oh my! Two babies!" someone will exclaim. "Are they twins?" the person asks.

"Yes, yes they are," I tell them.

"Oh, how adorable," they say smiling at the children. "Two boys?" they ask.

"No, one boy, one girl," I answer.

"How sweet," they'll say. "My niece had twins. Are yours identical?"

Now, I thought it was common knowledge that identical twins are the identical sex. I mean, I knew this way before I had twins. But, you would not believe how often I am asked this question.

"No, ma'am. They're not identical," I'll say. "Actually they have different fathers."

[blank stare]

[pause for effect]

"Just kidding," I say.

--
Posted by Gene to The Twin Invasion at 11/30/2005 07:44:00 PM