LD-UAV

Rick Wagner

Jun 24, 2014, 12:27:27 PM6/24/14
to twin-cities...@googlegroups.com
Hello -    My goals are to build a winged UAV platform that will have a 60 minute 60 mile range.
This means I need a 60mph platform that can maintain over 60 minutes of fuel.   I chose fuel because a) I'm old school R/C pilot, I don't know what else would give me that range and speed.
The device will require GPS autopilot for autonomous flight.  I have the device - awact on setup and testing.
I used a EasyStar as a test platform for my FPV equipment.
I'm working to add a FPV transceiver antenna to a farmers 60 foot 'fire watch' tower so operations would be out of a farm field 30 miles north of MSP.
I've done extensive modeling of the platform requirements and interestingly found that a old-school trainer R/C model with a .45 2 cycle engine provided the best power/weight/speed performance characteristics.

004.JPG

john hestness

Jun 24, 2014, 6:19:46 PM6/24/14
to twin-cities...@googlegroups.com
That tower sounds pretty useful.  I only fly electric, (due to bad memories of trying to start old beat up .049 engines as a kid). Will it be difficult to achieve 60 minutes or is it just a matter of getting a bigger gas tank?

Is 60 mph near the top speed for a trainer? Would you gain efficiency by using a thinner wing?  Have you had any issues with vibration?

I have just started playing with FPV and so far I am not getting the range I hoped for. Anyway Good Luck!