Crowd Sourcing Data on How Minnesota Compares

Steven Clift

Apr 24, 2020, 11:53:21 AM4/24/20
to twin-cities-brigade

Hey, take a look:

From my post:

How does Minnesota compare with our neighbors?
With other countries and provinces with similar populations?
With leading states that seem to have pulled off *both* lower infections rates and fewer job losses?

Appeal #2 to Minnesota data geeks - I used my elementary data skills to pull in comparative data from Google's Community Mobility CSV file to create this:
I've done what I can with this time wise and you can see the "impact" data is an "opportunity" to crowd-source - go for it.

In my global digital government/democracy speaking days, I used to find that visiting provinces and countries with a similar population to Minnesota to be quite useful and exciting. Scale matters.
In MN, we tend to just compare ourselves with our neighbors, and other than Wisconsin, it is often apples to oranges. My take is that Minnesotans leave vital lessons off the table with narrow state comparison view. We need to ask "what works" and why and how might we adapt that to Minnesota from real leaders around the world. We can talk about "leading the nation" but that should just be our baseline.
My nutshell of an idea - let's get leaders from the states/countries on this chart together for some virtual lesson sharing on what works. This chart might interest all of them if put together and visualized.