我現在就讀高二... 英文怎麼說?

Good job!

Feb 21, 2005, 9:45:49 AM2/21/05

現在就讀國中二年級, 高中二年級, 請問分別應該要怎麼說呢???

--
[m [1;31m★ Origin: [33m 清華電機星星站 [37m<bbs.ee.nthu.edu.tw> [m
[1;32m※ From: [36m218-34-98-130.cm.dynamic.apol.com.tw [m

Vanity Fair

Feb 21, 2005, 10:12:24 AM2/21/05

※ 引述《newli...@bbs.ee.nthu.edu.tw (Good job! )》之銘言:
> 現在就讀國中二年級, 高中二年級, 請問分別應該要怎麼說呢???

this is my second year in junior high school.
this is my second year in high school.
--
[1;30;40m夫兵者不祥之器物或惡之故有道者不處君子居則貴左用兵則貴右兵者不祥之器非君子 [m
[1;30m之器不得已 [37m相簿 http://www.wretch.cc/album 有佈景主題 速度很快 [30m可得志於天下

小小校歌

Feb 21, 2005, 10:35:00 AM2/21/05
※ 引述《juhaa...@bbs.wretch.cc (Vanity Fair)》之銘言:

> ※ 引述《newli...@bbs.ee.nthu.edu.tw (Good job! )》之銘言:
> > 現在就讀國中二年級, 高中二年級, 請問分別應該要怎麼說呢???
> this is my second year in junior high school.
> this is my second year in high school.

my senior of high school/junior high school
--
[1;32m※ Origin: [33m碧海藍天 [37m<bbs.ntit.edu.tw> [m
[1;31m◆ From: [36m218-174-218-80.dynamic.hinet.net [m

Rain keeps dropping on my head

Feb 21, 2005, 9:40:24 PM2/21/05
※ 引述《newli...@bbs.ee.nthu.edu.tw (Good job! )》之銘言:
> 現在就讀國中二年級, 高中二年級, 請問分別應該要怎麼說呢???

8th grader=國中二年級
junior=高中二年級

--
Somewhere I have never travelled,
gladly beyond any experience,

~the voice of her eyes~

--
好康訊息!
Openfind 提供免費撥接電話:40508888

alyssa

Feb 22, 2005, 1:48:20 PM2/22/05

im now at my 2nd year of junior high (國二)

im not at my 2nd year of senior high (高二)

這是比較正式的說法吧*

Jim Walsh

Feb 21, 2005, 10:37:11 PM2/21/05
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:48:20 -0800, alyssa thought carefully and wrote:

> im now at my 2nd year of junior high (國二)
>
> im not at my 2nd year of senior high (高二)

...in.....[Not "at".]

It sounds more natural to say, "I am in THE second year..." [instead of
"my"], but "my" is also correct.

--
Love, Jim

Jim Walsh

Feb 21, 2005, 10:38:37 PM2/21/05
On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:35:00 +0000, 小小校歌 thought carefully and
wrote:

> ※ 引述《juhaa...@bbs.wretch.cc (Vanity Fair)》之銘言:
>> ※ 引述《newli...@bbs.ee.nthu.edu.tw (Good job!
>> )》之銘言:
>> > 現在就讀國中二年級, 高中二年級,
>> > 請問分別應該要怎麼說呢???
>> this is my second year in junior high school. this is my second year in
>> high school.
>

> my senior of high school/junior high school

I am a senior. = I am in the last year of high school. Also = I will
graduate from college/high school this year.

清泉崗陸戰66旅

Feb 22, 2005, 2:39:00 AM2/22/05
¡° ¤Þ­z¡mjim...@ms74.hinet.net (Jim Walsh)¡n¤§»Ê¨¥¡G
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:35:00 +0000, å° å° æ ¡æ­Œ thought carefully and
> wrote:
> > ※ 引述《juhaa...@bbs.wretch.cc (Vanity Fair)》之銘言:

> > my senior of high school/junior high school
> I am a senior. = I am in the last year of high school. Also = I will
> graduate from college/high school this year.

When you say "I am a senior"(w/o any context), could it also mean that
you're a senior citizen in your country? Thx for the help.
--
[1;35;40mn...@yahoo.com = MSN

Jim Walsh

Feb 22, 2005, 4:25:22 AM2/22/05
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 07:39:00 +0000, 清泉崗陸戰66旅 thought carefully
and wrote:

> ¡° ¤Þ­z¡mjim...@ms74.hinet.net (Jim Walsh)¡n¤§»Ê¨¥¡G
>> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:35:00 +0000, å° å° æ ¡æ­Œ thought
>> carefully and wrote:
>> > ※ 引述《juhaa...@bbs.wretch.cc (Vanity
>> > Fair)》之銘言:
>> > my senior of high school/junior high school
>> I am a senior. = I am in the last year of high school. Also = I will
>> graduate from college/high school this year.
>
> When you say "I am a senior"(w/o any context), could it also mean
> that you're a senior citizen in your country? Thx for the help.

Well, if you look 65 years old, and say, "I am a senior" it means that.

If you are a teenager, and say, "I am a senior", it doesn't mean that.

In other words, the age of the speaker is sufficient context.

BTW, except for tests, sentences are almost never "without context". This
is another way "test English" is not like real life English.

--
Love, Jim

Hang on!

Feb 22, 2005, 10:09:59 AM2/22/05

Is it okay to say "I am a seconder in senior high school."?
Thanks a lot!

--
Ξ Origin: 中興大學天樞資訊網 <bbs.nchu.edu.tw>
Ξ From : 218-34-98-130.cm.dynamic.apol.com.tw

樹與小鳥(g)

Feb 23, 2005, 12:32:22 PM2/23/05
※ 引述《newli...@bbs.ee.nthu.edu.tw (Good job! )》之銘言:

> 現在就讀國中二年級, 高中二年級, 請問分別應該要怎麼說呢???

I'm in the second grade of junior / senior high school.

--
Ξ Origin: 中興大學天樞資訊網 <bbs.nchu.edu.tw>

Ξ From : 220-140-85-137.dynamic.hinet.net

清泉崗陸戰66旅

Feb 23, 2005, 3:14:19 PM2/23/05
※ 引述《JJUU...@bbs.nchu.edu.tw (樹與小鳥(g))》之銘言:

> ※ 引述《newli...@bbs.ee.nthu.edu.tw (Good job! )》之銘言:
> > 現在就讀國中二年級, 高中二年級, 請問分別應該要怎麼說呢???
> I'm in the second grade of junior / senior high school.

國二 grade 8
高二 grade 11

i.e. I'm a grade 8 student.

※ Origin: 楓橋驛站<bbs.cs.nthu.edu.tw> ◆ From: 218-165-152-153.dynamic.hinet.net

Jim Walsh

Feb 24, 2005, 1:37:56 AM2/24/05
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:32:22 +0000, 樹與小鳥(g) thought carefully and
wrote:

> ※ 引述《newli...@bbs.ee.nthu.edu.tw (Good job! )》之銘言:
>
>> 現在就讀國中二年級, 高中二年級,
>> 請問分別應該要怎麼說呢???
>
> I'm in the second grade of junior / senior high school.

American count all 12 years. They don't start over at 1 in Junior High.
Here is one example (there are several systems in the USA):

Primary School: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

Junior High School: 7, 8

High School: 9, 10, 11, 12.

The second year of Junior High is the 8th grade. The second year of Senior
High is the 10th grade.

Here is another system used in the USA.

Primary School: 1, 2, 3, 4

Middle School: 5, 6, 7, 8 [No Junior High at all.]

High School: 9, 10, 11, 12.

Peacenik

Feb 24, 2005, 6:45:43 AM2/24/05
"清泉崗陸戰66旅" <sapphi...@bbs.cs.nthu.edu.tw> wrote in message

> ※ 引述《JJUU...@bbs.nchu.edu.tw (樹與小鳥(g))》之銘言:
> > ※ 引述《newli...@bbs.ee.nthu.edu.tw (Good job! )》之銘言:
> > > 現在就讀國中二年級, 高中二年級, 請問分別應該要怎麼說呢???
> > I'm in the second grade of junior / senior high school.
>
> 國二 grade 8
> 高二 grade 11
>
> i.e. I'm a grade 8 student.

The term "grade 8" is usually used by school administrators, educational
researchers and other professionals and scholars connected to education.
Most people, and almost all students, say "8th grade".

"I'm an 8th grade student."

清泉崗陸戰66旅

Feb 24, 2005, 7:15:32 AM2/24/05
※ 引述《cnelso...@hotmail.com (Peacenik)》之銘言:

> "清泉崗陸戰66旅" <sapphi...@bbs.cs.nthu.edu.tw> wrote in message
> > 國二 grade 8
> > 高二 grade 11
> > i.e. I'm a grade 8 student.
> The term "grade 8" is usually used by school administrators, educational
> researchers and other professionals and scholars connected to education.
> Most people, and almost all students, say "8th grade".
> "I'm an 8th grade student."

How about saying "I'm an 8th grader?" Would it be alright? TIA.

※ Origin: 楓橋驛站<bbs.cs.nthu.edu.tw> ◆ From: 218-165-152-4.dynamic.hinet.net

清泉崗陸戰66旅

Feb 24, 2005, 7:09:54 AM2/24/05
※ 引述《cnelso...@hotmail.com (Peacenik)》之銘言:
> "清泉崗陸戰66旅" <sapphi...@bbs.cs.nthu.edu.tw> wrote in message
> > 國二 grade 8
> > 高二 grade 11
> > i.e. I'm a grade 8 student.
> The term "grade 8" is usually used by school administrators, educational
> researchers and other professionals and scholars connected to education.
> Most people, and almost all students, say "8th grade".
> "I'm an 8th grade student."

I thought "grade 8" and "8th grade" denote the same meaning, at least
similar to some extent, like "floor 2" and "2nd floor." Appreciated.

MJ羅漢

Feb 24, 2005, 7:44:02 AM2/24/05
※ 引述《sapphi...@bbs.cs.nthu.edu.tw (清泉崗陸戰66旅)》之銘言:
> 轉信站: KimoWebBBS!netnews.kimo.com.tw!news.cs.nthu!maple
> ※ 引述《cnelso...@hotmail.com (Peacenik)》之銘言:
> > "清泉崗陸戰66旅" wrote in message
> > > 國二 grade 8
> > > 高二 grade 11
> > > i.e. I'm a grade 8 student.
> > The term "grade 8" is usually used by school administrators, educational
> > researchers and other professionals and scholars connected to education.
> > Most people, and almost all students, say "8th grade".
> > "I'm an 8th grade student."
> How about saying "I'm an 8th grader?" Would it be alright? TIA.

我國的學制不同, 高二沒人稱為十一年級.
應該忠實反應本國學制稱呼, 並加說明:

I'm a 2nd grader in senior high, which is equivalent to the 11th grader in America.

--
[1;33m※ Origin: [36m奇摩 大摩域 [37m<http://bbs.kimo.com.tw/> [m
[1;35m◆ From: 218.167.12.60

Jim Walsh

Feb 24, 2005, 8:37:45 AM2/24/05

I agree.

The basic rule is "an ordinal number precedes the noun (first floor; first
grade, first book) and a cardinal number follows the noun (floor one,
grade one, book one)".

I feel a slight preference for the ordinal + noun structure.

Jim Walsh

Feb 24, 2005, 8:38:39 AM2/24/05
On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:09:54 +0000, 清泉崗陸戰66旅 thought carefully
and wrote:

> ※ 引述《cnelso...@hotmail.com (Peacenik)》之銘言:
>> "清泉崗陸戰66旅" <sapphi...@bbs.cs.nthu.edu.tw> wrote in
>> message news:4GjR5h$G...@bbs.cs.nthu.edu.tw...
>> > 國二 grade 8
>> > 高二 grade 11
>> > i.e. I'm a grade 8 student.
>> The term "grade 8" is usually used by school administrators,
>> educational researchers and other professionals and scholars connected
>> to education. Most people, and almost all students, say "8th grade".
>> "I'm an 8th grade student."
>
> I thought "grade 8" and "8th grade" denote the same meaning, at
> least similar to some extent, like "floor 2" and "2nd floor."
> Appreciated.

Yes. You are right. I guess it is more common (as a speech habit) to say
"second floor".

Jim Walsh

Feb 24, 2005, 8:39:02 AM2/24/05
On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:15:32 +0000, 清泉崗陸戰66旅 thought carefully
and wrote:

> ※ 引述《cnelso...@hotmail.com (Peacenik)》之銘言:
>> "清泉崗陸戰66旅" <sapphi...@bbs.cs.nthu.edu.tw> wrote in
>> message news:4GjR5h$G...@bbs.cs.nthu.edu.tw...
>> > 國二 grade 8
>> > 高二 grade 11
>> > i.e. I'm a grade 8 student.
>> The term "grade 8" is usually used by school administrators,
>> educational researchers and other professionals and scholars connected
>> to education. Most people, and almost all students, say "8th grade".
>> "I'm an 8th grade student."
>
> How about saying "I'm an 8th grader?" Would it be alright?

Yes. It is right.

Message has been deleted

Jim Walsh

Feb 24, 2005, 9:14:35 AM2/24/05
On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:07:13 +0000, 清泉崗陸戰66旅 thought carefully
and wrote:

> ¡° ¤Þ­z¡mjim...@ms74.hinet.net (Jim Walsh)¡n¤§»Ê¨¥¡G

>> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:09:54 +0000,
>> 清泉崗陸戰66旅 thought carefully and wrote:
>> > ※ 引述《cnelso...@hotmail.com
>> > (Peacenik)》之銘言:

>> > I thought "grade 8" and "8th grade" denote the same meaning, at
>> > least similar to some extent, like "floor 2" and "2nd floor."
>> > Appreciated.
>> Yes. You are right. I guess it is more common (as a speech habit) to
>> say "second floor".
>

> Bunch of thanks, Jim.

My pleasure.

清泉崗陸戰66旅

Feb 24, 2005, 9:09:10 AM2/24/05
¡° ¤Þ­z¡mjim...@ms74.hinet.net (Jim Walsh)¡n¤§»Ê¨¥¡G
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:09:54 +0000, 清泉崗陸戰66旅 thought carefully
> and wrote:
> > ※ 引述《cnelso...@hotmail.com (Peacenik)》之銘言:
> > I thought "grade 8" and "8th grade" denote the same meaning, at
> > least similar to some extent, like "floor 2" and "2nd floor."
> > Appreciated.
> Yes. You are right. I guess it is more common (as a speech habit) to say
> "second floor".

Thanks a bunch, Jim.

¡° Origin: ·¬¾ôÅ毸<bbs.cs.nthu.edu.tw> ¡» From: 218-165-149-232.dynamic.hinet.net

Peacenik

Feb 24, 2005, 9:25:30 AM2/24/05

> ※ 引述《cnelso...@hotmail.com (Peacenik)》之銘言:
> > "清泉崗陸戰66旅" <sapphi...@bbs.cs.nthu.edu.tw> wrote in message
> > > 國二 grade 8
> > > 高二 grade 11
> > > i.e. I'm a grade 8 student.
> > The term "grade 8" is usually used by school administrators, educational
> > researchers and other professionals and scholars connected to education.
> > Most people, and almost all students, say "8th grade".
> > "I'm an 8th grade student."
>
> I thought "grade 8" and "8th grade" denote the same meaning, at least
> similar to some extent, like "floor 2" and "2nd floor." Appreciated.

Yes, but "8th grade" is far more common among students and ordinary people.
"grade 8" is mostly used by professionals in the field of education, and has
a more "clinical" sound to it.

Peacenik

Feb 24, 2005, 9:26:22 AM2/24/05

> ※ 引述《cnelso...@hotmail.com (Peacenik)》之銘言:
> > "清泉崗陸戰66旅" <sapphi...@bbs.cs.nthu.edu.tw> wrote in message
> > > 國二 grade 8
> > > 高二 grade 11
> > > i.e. I'm a grade 8 student.
> > The term "grade 8" is usually used by school administrators, educational
> > researchers and other professionals and scholars connected to education.
> > Most people, and almost all students, say "8th grade".
> > "I'm an 8th grade student."
>
> How about saying "I'm an 8th grader?" Would it be alright? TIA.

Yes, it would be all right.

Peacenik

Feb 24, 2005, 9:32:12 AM2/24/05
"MJ羅漢" <mascot...@yahoo.com.tw> wrote in message

> ※ 引述《sapphi...@bbs.cs.nthu.edu.tw (清泉崗陸戰66旅)》之銘言:
> > 轉信站: KimoWebBBS!netnews.kimo.com.tw!news.cs.nthu!maple
> > ※ 引述《cnelso...@hotmail.com (Peacenik)》之銘言:
> > > "清泉崗陸戰66旅" wrote in message
> > > The term "grade 8" is usually used by school administrators,
educational
> > > researchers and other professionals and scholars connected to
education.
> > > Most people, and almost all students, say "8th grade".
> > > "I'm an 8th grade student."
> > How about saying "I'm an 8th grader?" Would it be alright? TIA.
>
> 我國的學制不同, 高二沒人稱為十一年級.
> 應該忠實反應本國學制稱呼, 並加說明:
>
> I'm a 2nd grader in senior high, which is equivalent to the 11th grader in
America.

With respect to schools in Taiwan: Don't use "grade" in the above statement;
instead use "year".

"I'm in my second year in high school."

You see, if you say "I'm a 2nd grader in high school", it sounds like you're
trying to say "I'm a 2nd-year ELEMENTARY school student in high school". It
paints a picture of an 8-year-old kid attending high school... very strange.

Also, there is no need to use "senior" in "high school".

J'aime mon Faye

Feb 24, 2005, 9:47:04 AM2/24/05
※ 引述《mascot...@yahoo.com.tw (MJ羅漢)》之銘言:

> ※ 引述《sapphi...@bbs.cs.nthu.edu.tw (清泉崗陸戰66旅)》之銘言:
> > 轉信站: KimoWebBBS!netnews.kimo.com.tw!news.cs.nthu!maple
> > How about saying "I'm an 8th grader?" Would it be alright? TIA.
> 我國的學制不同, 高二沒人稱為十一年級.
> 應該忠實反應本國學制稱呼, 並加說明:
> I'm a 2nd grader in senior high, which is equivalent to the 11th grader

in America.

Agree.

--
[1;30;40m夫兵者不祥之器物或惡之故有道者不處君子居則貴左用兵則貴右兵者不祥之器非君子 [m

[1;30m之器不得已 [37mBLOG http://www.wretch.cc/blog 安西教練 我想寫日記 嗚嗚 [30mo志於天下

[m [1;30m矣吉事尚左凶事尚右偏將軍居左上將軍居右言以喪禮處之殺人之眾以哀悲泣之戰勝以 [m
[1;30m喪禮處之道常 [37m無名 [30m樸雖小天下莫能臣侯王若能守之萬物將自賓天地相合以降甘露民莫 [m

[1;30m之令而自均始制有名名亦既有夫亦將知止知止可以不殆譬道之在天 [37m203.71.166.214 [30m海 [m

J'aime mon Faye

Feb 24, 2005, 9:56:33 AM2/24/05
※ 引述《cnelso...@hotmail.com (Peacenik)》之銘言:

> "MJ羅漢" <mascot...@yahoo.com.tw> wrote in message
> educational
> education.

> > 我國的學制不同, 高二沒人稱為十一年級.
> > 應該忠實反應本國學制稱呼, 並加說明:
> > I'm a 2nd grader in senior high, which is equivalent to the 11th grader in
> America.
> With respect to schools in Taiwan: Don't use "grade" in the above statement;
> instead use "year".
> "I'm in my second year in high school."
> You see, if you say "I'm a 2nd grader in high school", it sounds like you're
> trying to say "I'm a 2nd-year ELEMENTARY school student in high school". It
> paints a picture of an 8-year-old kid attending high school... very strange.
> Also, there is no need to use "senior" in "high school".

As "grade" to America, so is "year" to Taiwan.

--
[1;30;40m夫兵者不祥之器物或惡之故有道者不處君子居則貴左用兵則貴右兵者不祥之器非君子 [m

[1;30m之器不得已 [37m相簿 http://www.wretch.cc/album 有佈景主題 速度很快 [30m可得志於天下

清泉崗陸戰66旅

Feb 24, 2005, 10:25:43 AM2/24/05
※ 引述《cnelso...@hotmail.com (Peacenik)》之銘言:
> "MJ羅漢" <mascot...@yahoo.com.tw> wrote in message
> educational
> education.
> With respect to schools in Taiwan: Don't use "grade" in the above statement;
> instead use "year".
> "I'm in my second year in high school."
> You see, if you say "I'm a 2nd grader in high school", it sounds like you're
> trying to say "I'm a 2nd-year ELEMENTARY school student in high school". It
> paints a picture of an 8-year-old kid attending high school... very strange.
> Also, there is no need to use "senior" in "high school".

In Taiwan, people tend to draw a line between 8th grade and 9th grade
to mark distinction of the so-called "senior" and "junior" high schools
whereas in America such terms don't really exist. It could be attributed
much to the cultural differneces and/or schooling systems between the two
nations.

It's not to my surprise that people have been having confusions over
these schooling terms since day one.

※ Origin: 楓橋驛站<bbs.cs.nthu.edu.tw> ◆ From: 218-165-149-232.dynamic.hinet.net

Jim Walsh

Feb 24, 2005, 10:57:23 PM2/24/05
On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:25:43 +0000, 清泉崗陸戰66旅 thought carefully
and wrote:

> In Taiwan, people tend to draw a line between 8th grade and 9th
> grade to mark distinction of the so-called "senior" and "junior"
> high schools whereas in America such terms don't really exist.

Agree. My oldest son went to school where the Junior High consisted of
7th, 8th, and 9th grades (the high school of course consisted of 10th thru
12th.

Meanwhile my youngest son's Junior High consisted of 7th and 8th ONLY.

And I went to a school where grades 7th thru 12th were in the same
building.

Peacenik

Feb 25, 2005, 7:31:43 AM2/25/05

> ※ 引述《cnelso...@hotmail.com (Peacenik)》之銘言:
> > "MJ羅漢" <mascot...@yahoo.com.tw> wrote in message
> > educational
> > education.
> > With respect to schools in Taiwan: Don't use "grade" in the above
statement;
> > instead use "year".
> > "I'm in my second year in high school."
> > You see, if you say "I'm a 2nd grader in high school", it sounds like
you're
> > trying to say "I'm a 2nd-year ELEMENTARY school student in high school".
It
> > paints a picture of an 8-year-old kid attending high school... very
strange.
> > Also, there is no need to use "senior" in "high school".
>
> In Taiwan, people tend to draw a line between 8th grade and 9th grade
> to mark distinction of the so-called "senior" and "junior" high
schools
> whereas in America such terms don't really exist.

Traditionally, in America, "junior high school" is 7th and 8th grade, while
"high school" is 9th - 12th. Some school districts differ, though.

I went to junior high in 7th and 8th grade; then went to another school for
9th grade; then high school for 10th - 2th grade.