Bored? Fancy building a 3D printer to fight COVID-19?

Alex Gibson

Apr 1, 2020, 11:13:57 AM4/1/20
to tvrep...@googlegroups.com, reading-...@googlegroups.com

Hi all

I have an RS Components RepRapPro Ormerod, BRAND NEW IN BOX, which could be used to fight COVID-19 in our print farm.

The catch?  It is a proper kit and needs significant building to be usable.  And it’s a bit of a collector’s piece that I was looking forward to really taking my time over and building sometime.  So ideally if someone who previously built one, or a Thames Valley RepRap or similar, wants to build it both FAST AND to the letter of the instructions, with good crimping skills and a penchant for tidy cable management – that would be great!  It would be a good cause as it could then be put straight to work to make face shields in our growing print farm.

Sorry to be both demanding AND fussy, but I am just too stretched to do it myself right now!

Ian? J

Cheers

Alex Gibson

+44 7813 810 765    @alexgibson3d    37 Royal Avenue, Reading RG31 4UR

admg consulting

edumaker limited

·         Project management

·         Operations & Process improvement

·         3D Printing

David Price

Apr 2, 2020, 4:41:08 AM4/2/20
to TVRepRapUG
Hi Alex,
if you really, really want this done I am willing to give it a go. Do you want me to collect from Green Park? - DM me.
David

Alex Gibson

Apr 2, 2020, 11:28:44 AM4/2/20
to tvrep...@googlegroups.com
Hi David
If you have the time to spare I know you would be the safest pair of hands for this!!!
My instinct is to throw every functional 3D printer I can find at this problem - the need in hospitals is massive and while we have printed (and quality controlled and packed with a laser cut visor ready to assemble and wear) over 500 units already, some of which have gone to local GPs and some to RBH, we are getting orders for the same number again!  Our capacity is growing every day, only thanks to donated printers now numbering as many as my entire original fleet!
So on that logic, yes the Ormerod is a capable printer that should join the party - and I have another one at home which I can 'un-modify' back to the original spec.
I am also a bit of a hoarder and there is something nice about a time capsule from Peak RepRap - but there's also something sad about it not getting used and a lot sad about doctors still not having the right PPE.

So, if you can pick it up tomorrow and work on it, that would be great - we can get you sent a 'letter of safe passage' confirming you're a vital worker for our corporate partner.  Obviously we will observe good distancing!  The contents of the box are untouched, and I will wipe down the exterior with ambulance wipes today - and COVID lasts 24 hours on cardboard anyway - it should be clean and safe for you!

I don't know the exact version -only that it was via RS components... and it should be 100% complete - but in the chance it is not I will be able to resolve that easily.

Cheers,
Alex

--

---