RE: [RDG-Hack] Re: 3D printing and Laser Cutting of Medical Shields

Alex Gibson

Mar 21, 2020, 5:34:17 PM3/21/20
to reading-...@googlegroups.com, tvrep...@googlegroups.com

Copying TVRRUG members on this discussion of 3D printing medical shields locally…

As Emil mentions, the crucial thing is that it’s possible to make parts that will actually be usable in a clinical setting IE sterile or able to be made so, in quantity, and FAST – we expect mass production to ramp up soon, so this is an operation that will have a short life then be disbanded, but there will be a short term gap to fill which could be life saving.

With any community effort there is potential for many cooks so I’ve kept my powder dry so far but this initiative from University of Reading School of Pharmacy is well placed with contacts in government and at RBH.

A great starting point would be to confirm how many of us have printers able to print the attached part, repeatedly with *reasonable* reliability, and are willing to loan them to be operated by others in a suitable location.

Here are the instructions:

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/25857-prusa-protective-face-shield-rc2

I’ve set up a Google sheet to collate info about who has what printers with what properties available – please add info here!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13LWV3yWP8m0KFVF7P5dm83Uhp2HIuyTj2e2a41xC2_0/edit?usp=sharing

You could separately email me your contact details, stored for this purpose ONLY – to me al...@alexgibson.net

This is not a commitment to do ANYTHING right now – just to check what printers are potentially available…

Please suggest to me any edits that should be made to the form itself.  I have left off contact details for data protection reasons and location as I think a usable printer is worth collecting anywhere locally – please let me know if you are OUTSIDE Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Hampshire, Buckinghamshire?

There may be other ways to contribute including maintenance, training of operators, remote or onsite support – right now just focusing on the printers we can cluster in the very near future.

If you also happen to have a laser cutter – please email me the specs and I can collate this too!

Kind regards,

Alex Gibson

@alexgibson3d

admg consulting

edumaker limited

·         Project management

·         Operations & Process improvement

·         3D Printing

Mar 22, 2020, 6:57:44 AM3/22/20
to reading-...@googlegroups.com, tvrep...@googlegroups.com, Andy Harris

All – I have attached an updated version of the Prusa headband STL from David Price – this is NOT a change to the design in any significant way. It fixes an issue where the original part does not sit flush to the build bed on all slicers on import.  THIS is the one to use for testing your machine…

I am going right now to pick up a stock of A4 ring binder front and rear plastic sheets – a good source of the right sort of plastic.  I’ve got acetate sheets already in stock, and another rLab member has some A3 ring binder covers either in stock or incoming.

Al

-          Yes, thanks for updating!  Completely agree that Face shields are the way to go.

-          I still think that if the university has a canteen area this would be ideal – many printers on many long benches, with space between them and cleanable surfaces will be good.

-          The power requirements are not outrageous -  in terms of power density most modern offices could do the same.

-          I am asking a friend about one possible local space, will update when I’ve had the conversation.

Emil-

-  Thanks still for adding it! – in my opinion the TVRR machines are capable, and as we have potentially many of them, they are a known quantity.  If we are limited for space they would not be as productive as some other machines as to achieve a useful output they’d need to be run more slowly, but they are (or can be made to be) very reliable (I can fix them until they are and have many spares!!).  Unless you’ve eliminated it from yours they do have a small amount of wood in their construction – but we could quickly make alternate parts to eliminate it.

- I don’t know that we really need a PM software tool right now, but thanks for the offer!!!  Our needs are fairly simple, and right now a space to operate is a clear stumbling block.

I’m in touch with Andy Harris (copied) who is already printing Prusa shields on his Mark 3, he even has a laser cutter at home, but needs the sheets, which I have and will pass on to him…

Enzo – I saw the Decathlon face mask conversion – I have one reserved and will collect today or tomorrow morning.  Looks great.  Not sure I’d want to treat it as ‘disposable’ so cleaning options…?

Alex Gibson

admg consulting

edumaker limited

·         Project management

·         Operations & Process improvement

·         3D Printing

Mar 22, 2020, 7:53:59 AM3/22/20
to tvrep...@googlegroups.com
Finding one or more empty canteen/kitchen areas seems to be a good target.

Would unused commercial kitchen spaces (maybe associated with the canteen) be a better option? (Stainless steel surfaces, designed for hygeine, etc.)

Is Reading College on Kings Road closed? Maybe they train chefs and have a stainless steel "classroom" that is currently not being used at present.

Emil, The TVRRUG Prusa I2 is a decent, reliable printer. The Mendel90 that I have offered, is an upgrade that mainly increases the print volume. Remember the story of the tortoise and the hare....

--

---

daprigoo

Mar 22, 2020, 9:32:52 AM3/22/20
to tvrep...@googlegroups.com, Alex Gibson, reading-...@googlegroups.com, Andy Harris

As far as I can tell you need three elements;

- The "fixed" version of Alex's face shield

- The "bottom_reinforcement.stl" from Prusa's original fileset

Combined these took 2h30m on my Prusa Mk3 with .3 layers, 3 perimeters and PLA. PET-G should take the same amount of time, I would probably speed things up after the first couple of layers to shorten the run.

You also need the stencil to cut the holes (normal A4 punches are not spaced correctly);

- https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/26154-stencils-for-protective-face-shield-work-in-progre

this is designed for drilling 0.5mm acetate while presentation acetates could simply be punched. Unfortunately the holes don't match any paper punches I have so it will need to be a case of stacking a few then drilling.

david

--

---

ETJonasson

Mar 22, 2020, 10:41:15 AM3/22/20
to TVRepRapUG
Hi Malcolm,

I didn't mean to rubbish the TVRRUG designs, they are excellent. My printer is one which I built separately and then only added on the OMC/Phoenix boards from TVRRUG, the rest is a standard-ish Prusa mendel from about 2014. The axis travel is very limited, especially in Y, but this could all be fixed of course.

Emil

AVG logo

www.avg.com

--

---

Alex Gibson

Mar 22, 2020, 10:51:19 AM3/22/20
to tvrep...@googlegroups.com, reading-...@googlegroups.com

Good news is it appears we have a suitable venue at Green Park…!

Please add to the Google sheet any machines you’d be willing for us to operate there?

Cheers,

Alex Gibson

+44 7813 810 765    @alexgibson3d    37 Royal Avenue, Reading RG31 4UR

admg consulting

edumaker limited

·         Project management

·         Operations & Process improvement

·         3D Printing

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tvreprapug/50caccb5-8321-43dc-9a3e-6cfcec01cb6b%40googlegroups.com.

Alex Gibson

Mar 22, 2020, 12:25:59 PM3/22/20
to Andy, daprigoo, tvrep...@googlegroups.com, reading-...@googlegroups.com

Very awesome Andy – and I love the colour J

Al is heading into Rymans to buy up their stock of comb binder covers…

Cheers,

Alex Gibson

+44 7813 810 765    @alexgibson3d    37 Royal Avenue, Reading RG31 4UR

admg consulting

edumaker limited

·         Project management

·         Operations & Process improvement

·         3D Printing

Mar 25, 2020, 5:14:12 AM3/25/20
to TVRepRapUG
This looks a lot more complicated but I was passed this link as potentially of interest

Alex Gibson

Mar 25, 2020, 5:40:15 AM3/25/20
to tvrep...@googlegroups.com

Hi Mike

Funny you should say that – I have one of these, and have been in touch with the Reading branch of Decathlon, they are shut but I have a mobile number to procure if needed.

I have zero bandwidth as today I’m putting my entire print farm on a Reading Bus to Green Park…!!!

Would you be able to properly read up on how this modification is made, what ‘vitamins’ are needed, and maybe test print a piece please????

Alex Gibson

+44 7813 810 765    @alexgibson3d    37 Royal Avenue, Reading RG31 4UR

admg consulting

edumaker limited

·         Project management

·         Operations & Process improvement

·         3D Printing

--

---

image001.png

Richard Ibbotson

Mar 25, 2020, 6:30:46 AM3/25/20
to tvrep...@googlegroups.com
Do be very careful if experimenting with these full face masks with the addition of filters. They can kill you. The accumulation of CO2 is a serious danger. Never experiment alone and wear a pulse oximeter with alarm.

There is much misunderstanding and misuse of the terms ventilator and respirator which adds to the danger. Respirators are to provide good quality air to the wearer who is normally in good health and breathing properly in areas where the air around presents a risk. Ventilators are for patients who cannot breath properly for themselves and require assistance, unfortunately some people refer to these as artificial respirators which is maybe a part of the confusion.
The article which Mike linked to is to use the mask as a CPAP Continuous Positive Airway Pressure Ventilator mask, and not for PPE protection or respiration. As PPE it could be very dangerous.

By all means experiment under safe conditions and continue to work with health professionals on their needs, but take care.

Stay safe,
Richard
Sent via Richard's Phone

On 25 Mar 2020, at 09:40, Alex Gibson <al...@alexgibson.net> wrote:

Hi Mike

Funny you should say that – I have one of these, and have been in touch with the Reading branch of Decathlon, they are shut but I have a mobile number to procure if needed.

I have zero bandwidth as today I’m putting my entire print farm on a Reading Bus to Green Park…!!!

Would you be able to properly read up on how this modification is made, what ‘vitamins’ are needed, and maybe test print a piece please????

<image001.png>

mikethebee

Mar 31, 2020, 12:18:51 PM3/31/20
to TVRepRapUG
Looking into this idea further it seems to fall between stools and imo does not represent a suitable project for a crowdsourcing. The non-respiration versions of a face mask such as you are already producing are a good choice.

Ian Bowden

Mar 31, 2020, 1:29:09 PM3/31/20
to tvrep...@googlegroups.com

At Richmond Makerlabs we printed two of the valve adaptors for the Decathalon mask, in response to a request from a local hospital anesthetist.

The items seem to fit fine, as we were sent a photo of the prototype.  Our bit is the thing printed in blue on top of the mask.

No idea whether it will go forward or not.  We wouldn't be able to print guaranteed sterile gear anyway.

On 31/03/2020 17:18, mikethebee wrote:
Looking into this idea further it seems to fall between stools and imo does not represent a suitable project for a crowdsourcing. The non-respiration versions of a face mask such as you are already producing are a good choice.
--

---

Alex Gibson

Mar 31, 2020, 6:10:07 PM3/31/20
to tvrep...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ian!

Looks great – could you point me to the correct STL please?  I would be keen to at least print an example, as we may get media interest in what we are doing with the face shields, and I think it’s important to put it in context that there are other projects, and a worldwide stepping up of makers to fill the gaps in health system planning!

And God forbid it might be needed locally…!

Cheers,

Alex Gibson

+44 7813 810 765    @alexgibson3d    37 Royal Avenue, Reading RG31 4UR

admg consulting

edumaker limited

·         Project management

·         Operations & Process improvement

·         3D Printing

AVG logo

www.avg.com

--

---

image001.jpg

richard....@btinternet.com

Mar 31, 2020, 8:05:27 PM3/31/20
to TVRepRapUG
Guys please be very careful about how you promote this. It is not clear if this is part of a ventilator setup or a PPE mask.
Get this wrong and it is your responsibility if people suffer CO2 toxicity. The dead space in this design and the introduction of filters makes it very high risk as PPE.
Please never test this alone.

Ashfaq Juna

Apr 1, 2020, 1:53:45 AM4/1/20
to tvrep...@googlegroups.com
Hello all

Sorry I am a little late in catching up with this

Long story short, makerbot desktop is not playing game

As a result I can't convert STL makerbot file format, I want to see if I can print the face shield on my CTC printer.

If someone could please send me X3G files for the face shield, I will try them on my 3d printer.

Thanks

Ashfaq

--

---

Alex Gibson

Apr 1, 2020, 3:43:35 AM4/1/20
to tvrep...@googlegroups.com

HI Ashfaq,

Try this for size?  It’s including raft to be on the safe side – let me know if it all prints OK, and we could try without!

We’ve right now got no mechanism to accept individual prints but there are other projects doing so, and we are working on it as a fully controlled process!

Cheers

Alex Gibson

+44 7813 810 765    @alexgibson3d    37 Royal Avenue, Reading RG31 4UR

admg consulting

edumaker limited

·         Project management

·         Operations & Process improvement

·         3D Printing

Apr 1, 2020, 4:45:02 AM4/1/20
to tvrep...@googlegroups.com

Hi Alex,

The link to the design is here:  https://www.isinnova.it/easy-covid19-eng/?fb-edit=1

The request was " I need to 3D print a couple of small items to convert a snorkel face mask into a CPAP device for treating patients with severe COVID19."

It's clear that the application is not PPE, it's a breathing device.  The idea is that in times of shortage, the snorkel mask may be available in quantity.

Ian.

Ashfaq Juna

Apr 1, 2020, 8:37:03 AM4/1/20
to tvrep...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Alex

I am convinced Gmail is playing tricks as the attachment wasn't visible earlier..let me try this

Thanks again

Norro

Apr 1, 2020, 8:41:06 AM4/1/20
to TVRepRapUG
People have done a PPE version with a filter on that top part.

AVG logo

www.avg.com

--

---

Alex Gibson

Apr 1, 2020, 8:57:09 AM4/1/20
to tvrep...@googlegroups.com

Forwarded it to your direct email… got it?  If not will wetransfer it

Ashfaq Juna

Apr 1, 2020, 9:24:36 AM4/1/20
to tvrep...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much Alex...

I must be doing something silly

Makerbot doesnt recongnise this file format format!

image.png

Ashfaq Juna

Apr 1, 2020, 9:28:03 AM4/1/20
to tvrep...@googlegroups.com
I am just risking it, put it on SD card and direct printing it..

Alex Gibson

Apr 1, 2020, 9:32:04 AM4/1/20
to tvrep...@googlegroups.com

Ah!

I forwarded the .X3G file – if you pop it on the SD card it should ‘just work’ in your CTC.  But it won’t open in MakerBot Desktop.

Attached are the .stl files which will open in MakerBot Desktop…

Cheers,

image002.png
bottom_reinforcement.stl
covid19_headband_rc1.stl

Alex Gibson

Apr 1, 2020, 9:34:13 AM4/1/20
to tvrep...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ashfaq,

As long as the printer remains calibrated it should be no risk, that’s exactly as intended J  Just check the first layer has the right amount of ‘smoosh’ on the build bed and it should be good!

Cheers,

image002.png

Ashfaq Juna

Apr 1, 2020, 9:55:43 AM4/1/20
to tvrep...@googlegroups.com
This is what it look like so far... attached pics

Looks a bit 'small' for a head.. unless it's in a kit form or I am just too
big headed.:)

It's a glow in the dark (blue) filament.. special edition :)

IMG_20200401_144458.jpg
IMG_20200401_144503.jpg
IMG_20200401_144454.jpg

Ashfaq Juna

Apr 1, 2020, 2:33:16 PM4/1/20
to tvrep...@googlegroups.com
Success I think!

So is this any good to any man or beast?

IMG_20200401_164807.jpg