Handle directory name for TV shows ...

Pontus Berg

Jan 19, 2022, 5:37:40 PM1/19/22
to TV Rename
There is an issue where the program behave rather odd;

# Background:

- A TV show has a name that I have chosen - it was added to the collection as an import and hence has that name. One could argue that anything that's no the template default should then be defined in manual, but this is not how my database looks - possibly an artifact of using the program for years.

- Let's say it's this show: "Whatever show (2020)" (the template name would be "whatever show")
- I have set it to store the files in the root - so no sub-directories (I really don't fancy that)
- I have the default settings properly set to files in the root folder ("TV Show Defaults" set to "in base folder").

So running a "settings check" I get the show listed as an item under "[TV] Use Custom Season Folder Name Format".

# Selecting to fix this

I right click and asks the program to fix the issue.,
- It doesn't rename the directory to match the template (which is what I would assume a fix would do)
- It sets the folder setting to sub directories for seasons (which I really didn't ask for)

So this fix doesn't fix the problems, but to me adds a new issue.

The suggested modus operandi would be to rename the directory as per the automatic default and have the automatic point there.

# Another setting check?

- Possibly adding a check if the "TV Show Defaults" isn't matched for every entry. "Fix" would reset to the default.

/Pontus

Pontus Berg

Jan 19, 2022, 6:59:22 PM1/19/22
to TV Rename
Sparky,

Going through this again, the settings is about the seasons folder (and not the name of the shows actual folder), so possibly it's correct that the name of the serie's root/base folder isn't renamed. There is still a level of confusion with a show being imported, the root folder having the "wrong name" but that it is (was?) still imported with that directory name in automatic, even if it's not matching what the automatic name would be if the program created it.

Help me out here;

* In the below example (picture), the name of the show is something, but the root/base directory is named something else (the added year) but automatic is still turned on. Is that still possible or is that an artifact of an obsolete version of the program?

* Automatic Folders - is that automatic root or automatic subfolder (if selected)? For me, these are two different things but the Add/Edit TV Show isn't really clear on the distinction between the two. A custom name of the root/base and automatic subfolders - that combination doesnät seem to be supported, or?

* As said, the below example shows up in my "Setting scanner" section "[TV] Use Custom Season Folder Name Format" and the fix is changing the settings to Default subdirectory names.

=> I would want the settings scanner to detect that the automatic name of the root/base folder is not correct - a fix would rename the folder and rectify the base folder name to where the files are.

=> I would want the setting scanner to detect a custom Subdirectory name only if the subdirectory default is set to custom subdirectory. If the setting is to keep the files in the root/base, the selection is to not use subdirectories, in which case they couldn't be erroneously named. Then the entry shouldn't appear in the Settings scanner list in the first place.

=> If you select to use season folders and you use a custom name, then it's OK if it shows up in the "[TV] Use Custom Season Folder Name Format" and that Fix is changing to default.

Skärmklipp.PNG

Sparky53

Jan 19, 2022, 8:41:55 PM1/19/22
to TV Rename
I'll look through the details in a few minutes, but one thing to note is that movies and TV shows work slightly differently.

TV SHows do not have the ability to automate the root folder for the show: The Base folder is fixed and then 'automatic folders' automatically creates season folders as needed.
For Movies The user specifies the root folder (for all movies) and then 'automatic folders' keeps the movie in the correct named folder.

TV Shows came first, but it was always frustrating that you had to create the folders for the TV show, so when Movies were added the logic was modified slightly. However it seems to have added confusion - especially when the year is used in the name and the year changes

Sparky53

Jan 19, 2022, 9:54:23 PM1/19/22
to TV Rename
Yeah - looks like there is a problem for that check. Will fix it up.

Pontus Berg

Jan 20, 2022, 6:05:30 AM1/20/22
to TV Rename
torsdag 20 januari 2022 kl. 02:41:55 UTC+1 skrev Sparky53:
I'll look through the details in a few minutes, but one thing to note is that movies and TV shows work slightly differently.

TV SHows do not have the ability to automate the root folder for the show: The Base folder is fixed and then 'automatic folders' automatically creates season folders as needed.
For Movies The user specifies the root folder (for all movies) and then 'automatic folders' keeps the movie in the correct named folder.

Is this also how you want it? I don't see that the base folder name needs to be logically different between movies and TV shows.  There is an overarching root for TV and one for Movies. Then each movie and TV Show would have a base folder which could be manual or automatic. And then for TV Shows you need to define how the user wants to structure the media inside.

Also, the "automatic folder" isn't a global setting, is it? It's a setting for the individual show and movie if the name used is to be one that TV Rename assumed based on the TVDB lookup. Here it becomes really confusing for TV Show where the show has Automatic folders on, and then a name which is different that then TVDB assumed one.

TV Shows came first, but it was always frustrating that you had to create the folders for the TV show, so when Movies were added the logic was modified slightly. However it seems to have added confusion - especially when the year is used in the name and the year changes.

Again, I do believe it's key to separate the logics of the base folders from the logics of the season folder. I don't see that the logics of the base folder for movie and TV show needs to be different.