Tragedy strikes again, My fault

Tom Snyder

Jun 16, 2021, 1:25:48 PM6/16/21
to TV Rename
My wife informed me that she had finished watching a two-part mini-series from 2014 and that it could be deleted from the system.  I went into TV Shows and clicked on Delete.  I got asked if I was sure and I clicked Yes.  Then it asked me if I wanted to delete the show folder and it's contents and I clicked Yes.  Upon that TV Rename showed as not responding.  After a reasonable wait I closed TV Rename.  Tried this three times and finally on the fourth time I noticed that the show folder that TV Rename was asking whether I wanted to delete was actually my wife's main TV show library and not a subdirectory named after the show.  Turns out TV Rename was not responding because it was busy trying to delete all her show files.  I managed to maybe lose about a quarter of them.
I can't blame TV Rename.  It was just doing what I told it to do.  It didn't matter that this was Alpha 31.  The same would have happened if it was stable 3.3.1.  I just need to pay more attention to what it was asking me to do.  This was probably a ticking timebomb from since when the mini-series was recorded and added to the database.
Sparky, is there any way you can display a super-duper warning if the folder that is listed to be deleted is a main library folder?  Or better yet, just refuse to do so unless the operator of TV Rename goes through a multi-step approval process or something else that makes it abundantly clear that you don't want to do this because you might lose everything.
Well, my movies are all backed up now because of my previous loss.  I didn't backup the TV shows because they are regularly being added to and deleted from the database.  Hopefully I make stupid mistakes so the rest of you using TV Rename don't have to.

Sparky53

Jun 20, 2021, 7:32:18 AM6/20/21
to TV Rename
Gutted you have had problems again. Thanks for being so open and honest to help prevent others from having the same misfortune.

I'll definitely put some more safety measures in place. Currently you only get the delete files option if (a) you have enabled it (b) you click to confirm that you want to delete the folder and (c) it goes to the recycle bin (if one if available)

However given your issue, I'll add more checks:
(1) Mention the folder in the dialog
(2) Check movie/video files being deleted do not match any other show
(3) Check folder is not the base for any other show

Cheers

Sparky53

Jun 20, 2021, 7:32:41 AM6/20/21
to TV Rename
This has been done and will be in the next Alpha version

Tom Snyder

Jun 20, 2021, 10:03:46 AM6/20/21
to TV Rename
Brilliant!! (As you Brits say)   Thank you so much!  I'm sure it will help to prevent others from doing the stupid thing that I have done.

Tom Snyder

Dec 7, 2021, 12:10:27 AM12/7/21
to TV Rename
Happy news!  It took from June until now, December, but I managed to get back all the episodes of all the shows that were deleted.  I had lost all the shows from A to L (actually numbers to L).  I had to replace roughly 6-7 terabytes of shows if my math is correct.  The Jackett feature of TV Rename was certainly my friend.  In latter times when things started to get hard to find the purchase of StreamFAB All-In-One (and subscribing to all the major streaming sites) put me over the finish line.
Now I'm bored.  I don't have anything to do with my spare time.  :-)

Sparky53

Dec 7, 2021, 8:02:29 AM12/7/21
to TV Rename
Good news!