'Knives Out 2' Coulda Been Big BO if Netflix Had Let It

Mark Jeffries

Nov 30, 2022, 6:38:59 PM11/30/22
to TVorNotTV
"Glass Onion:  A Knives Out Mystery" ended its one-week "sneak preview" run in 600 theaters yesterday--Netflix, more concerned about the home viewers who will watch it starting Dec. 23, did not report box office receipts but many experts believe that it will come in third for Thanksgiving weekend after "Black Panther 2" ($64M) and Disney's cartoon "Strange World" ($18.6M, considered a flop based on budget and has already been announced as going on Disney+ during the holidays) with $13M and could've made $45-50M if given a wide release (for comparison, Spielberg's "The Fabelmans" only pulled $3.1M from roughly the same number of screens and is supposedly going to VOD next week and probably to Peacock in time for Oscar season):

I have heard somewhere that Netflix will reissue "Knives Out 2" to theaters on Christmas weekend.

David Bruggeman

Nov 30, 2022, 6:50:21 PM11/30/22
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I went to a theater to see Glass Onion last night.  The 7:10 screening was probably half full, which I consider strong for a Tuesday in the first week of an under-advertised film.

As for the film, I think if you enjoyed Knives Out that you will likely enjoy Glass Onion.  I can understand why people are thinking that Netflix is leaving money on the table with the theatrical screening strategy.

Best,
David