Takei: Shatner was right, "TOS" cast didn't like one another

Bob Jersey

Nov 30, 2022, 4:31:23 PM11/30/22
to TVorNotTV

Tom Wolper

Nov 30, 2022, 5:49:35 PM11/30/22
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
There has to be some lesson here: these people became famous 54 years ago and found a way to monetize that fame for decades. Still, they can’t find a way to put old grudges to bed and be at peace with each other.

On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 4:31 PM 'Bob Jersey' via TVorNotTV <tvor...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/george-takei-slams-william-shatner-cantankerous-old-man-1235443212/ (link)

Adam Bowie

Dec 1, 2022, 12:10:09 PM12/1/22
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
It would take quite a bit to persuade me that Shatner is actually that easy to get along with...

Takei has been doing a bit of media in the UK to promote his musical which is getting a London run in the New Year.

David Bruggeman

Dec 1, 2022, 1:08:01 PM12/1/22
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
The discussion of the Shatner-hatred from his cast dates back to at least the early 90s (when most of the cast had a book or two out to document this), so I don't see this dying out before, well, Shatner does.

David

Steve Timko

Dec 1, 2022, 2:32:43 PM12/1/22
to TV or Not TV
The cast as a whole seemed to get along great. Even Nimoy seemed to have friction with Shatner.

Tom Wolper

Dec 1, 2022, 3:06:16 PM12/1/22
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
The cast had an exceedingly charmed life. Three years acting in a TV series half a century ago and then a ready income source of memoirs and conventions. Nobody gets that. It’s enough of a charmed life that anyone so privileged should be able to feel gratitude toward the fans who keep it going and bury all the grudges from all those years ago.

There were people I didn’t get along with fifty years ago. I can’t remember who they were or what the problems were. The Star Trek cast shouldn’t keep these bad feelings going.

David Bruggeman

Dec 1, 2022, 4:32:39 PM12/1/22
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
The beef is basically just Takei and Shatner at this point, and probably has been for a while.  The only other cast member still around is Walter Koenig, who may not care for either of them these days, but hasn't said anything about it since whatever axe-grinding he did in his memoir back in the 90s.

I do think as Shatner has aged he has exhibited more and more of a generic old man's least admirable qualities, independent of whatever grudges have been nursed over the years.

David

Kevin M.

Dec 1, 2022, 6:19:37 PM12/1/22
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Most shows I’ve worked on featured people whose personalities clashed with other people. What sets Trek apart is most media doesn’t continue on through conventions and reboots and constant questions from the fanbase. The fans/fanatics glom onto every bit of Trek gossip. So it is understandable that the cast continues to talk and write about it… what else is in their lives these days that they can talk or write about?

--
Kevin M. (RPCV)