Netflix Putting In 'Experiences' in Shopping Malls

Mark Jeffries

Jun 19, 2024, 11:08:04 AM (10 days ago) Jun 19
to TVorNotTV
Right when malls need it, Netflix will open Netflix House in malls in suburban Philadelphia and Dallas next year, providing "interactive experiences" based on Netflix shows along with restaurants and bars where once-mighty department stores used to stand:

Adam Bowie

Jun 19, 2024, 11:39:36 AM (10 days ago) Jun 19
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I'm really scratching my head about how this is a sensible thing for Netflix to be doing.

Do they have enough brands for this to make sense? I guess if they lean into genre, there's Stranger Things, Brigerton, Wednesday etc. But what is the experience for each of these? Just a series of sets in which you can get lots of Instagram pics?

Certainly there'll be merch to sell, and food to buy. But this feels like a "visit once" experience at best. But the article talks about 50 experiences in 25 cities. And while I guess they can fit out old department stores with the same set dressings made on scale, surely this will just get very tired very quickly. And the cost of setting them up to begin with will be high?

That all said, I see a Friends experience is opening in London in one of our most soulless convention centres. So what do I know?

Adam

On Wed, Jun 19, 2024 at 4:08 PM Mark Jeffries <spotl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Right when malls need it, Netflix will open Netflix House in malls in suburban Philadelphia and Dallas next year, providing "interactive experiences" based on Netflix shows along with restaurants and bars where once-mighty department stores used to stand:

Mark Jeffries

Jun 19, 2024, 12:09:01 PM (10 days ago) Jun 19
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
They could be doing a "Squid Game Challenge" sort of thing as they did recently in LA at Television City in the same studio where Red Skelton, Jack Benny, Carol Burnett and Bob Barker once stood.  Perhaps they could do live versions of their dating shows like "Love is Blind." Maybe a place to do mini "Netflix is a Joke" festivals and "John Mullaney Presents:  Everyone's in King of Prussia." But considering that Disney bombed twice in Chicago with Disney Quest and the ESPN Zone (now that may've been different if they could've run a sports book)...

Mark Jeffries
spotl...@gmail.com

Doug Eastick

Jun 19, 2024, 12:23:09 PM (10 days ago) Jun 19
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
"I'm going down to the mall and having a few wings beers while watching Bridgerton steamy scenes in a group setting"

wow.

Dave Sikula

Jun 20, 2024, 5:25:22 AM (9 days ago) Jun 20
to TVorNotTV
As someone pointed out on Twitter, the main missing element is .. movie theatres -- or, at the very least, screening rooms.

--Dave Sikula