NBC budget cuts: Late Night is losing its band

Tom Wolper

Jun 11, 2024, 11:20:45 PMJun 11
to TV or not TV
When Late Night starts a new season in the fall there will no longer be live music.

Kevin M.

Jun 11, 2024, 11:21:52 PMJun 11
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Late Night could lose the host and save even more money!

Kevin M. (RPCV)

On Tue, Jun 11, 2024 at 8:20 PM Tom Wolper <two...@gmail.com> wrote:
When Late Night starts a new season in the fall there will no longer be live music.

M-D November

Jun 13, 2024, 1:05:12 PMJun 13
to TVorNotTV
*Byron Allen intensifies*

Craig Ferguson got by just fine without a house band.  Just sayin'.  (Although it would be a huge loss for the band and their support staff.)

Jim Ellwanger

Jun 13, 2024, 1:38:41 PMJun 13
to tvorNotTV Bob Jersey via
Conan also got rid of his house band toward the end of his late-night run, when he switched to the half-hour show format.

Mark Jeffries

Jun 13, 2024, 1:54:37 PMJun 13
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
And about halfway through the first season of Bonnie Hunt's daytime talk show, Telepictures tried to get rid of the band and she begged them to come on one day a week, with the bandleader miming the other days of the week. I think they were successful in dumping the band in the second season.

Right now, I assume JHud has a band, otherwise the only live band on daytime talk shows is Kelly Clarkson's band Y'all.  Yes, Y'all.

Mark Jeffries
Saints Spotlight Editor
spotl...@gmail.com

Kevin M.

Jun 13, 2024, 2:29:15 PMJun 13
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
One of the things I’ve been thinking about when I read that Taylor’s show was picked up for another season is that, while I would not sit down to watch it in its entirety, I have seen clips/reels in my newsfeed that made me laugh. And ultimately those clips are what are looked at now, beyond traditional ratings. A band on a late night talk show isn’t going to generate much if any online buzz, so from the standpoint of the people financing the series, it is a waste of money.

Kevin M. (RPCV)

Doug Eastick

Jun 13, 2024, 4:21:09 PMJun 13
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
M-D Wrote:
"Craig Ferguson got by just fine without a house band.  "

Actually, the House Band in the last studio was voiced by Josh Robert Thompson :)

brugdr

Jun 13, 2024, 5:39:42 PMJun 13
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Alfredo Sauce and the Shy Guys.

David

M-D November

Jun 14, 2024, 2:01:17 PMJun 14
to TVorNotTV
Ah, yes. Alfredo Sauce & The Shy Fellas.
"TAKE THAT, OTHER LATE NIGHT SHOWS WITH BANDS THAT ACTUALLY EXIST!" - Craig