IYC: X changes policy on liked posts

Bob Jersey

Jun 12, 2024, 3:55:31 PMJun 12
to TVorNotTV
“Important change: your likes are now private,” Musk said, quoting an explanation posted by the company’s engineering account on Tuesday.
According to the post, users will still be able to see which posts they have liked themselves and who liked their own posts, but not who liked someone else’s posts.
On Wednesday, the tab on most users’ profiles showing what posts they had liked had disappeared.

At least the numbers of likes are still (roughly) displayed...

Kevin M.

Jun 12, 2024, 4:13:47 PMJun 12
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Let me guess what happens next: people can pay money to have their likes made visible, or to see the likes of others

Kevin M. (RPCV)

Jim Ellwanger

Jun 12, 2024, 6:03:39 PMJun 12
to tvorNotTV Bob Jersey via
I'm no longer using X/Twitter, so I can't verify this for myself, but someone on Bluesky says that likes weren't literally made private, they just removed the button - you can still see them by adding "/likes" after someone's profile URL.

This is about what you would expect from a site that runs entirely on Elon Musk's whims and has a lot fewer engineers than it used to.

(The quote in the NBC News article can probably be decoded as "Don't worry, you can now privately let all your favorite white supremacist posters know how much you like them.")

JW

Jun 13, 2024, 5:35:40 AMJun 13
to tvornottv
> I'm no longer using X/Twitter, so I can't verify this for myself, but someone on
> Bluesky says that likes weren't literally made private, they just removed the
> button - you can still see them by adding "/likes" after someone's profile URL.

It doesn't work now; you just get the profile page.