Semi-OT: Celebrity Twitter exodus

Kevin M.

Nov 30, 2022, 12:13:41 AM11/30/22
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
Jim Carrey is the latest to make headlines by leaving Twitter. I fully understand why anyone/everyone would abandon the sinking ship, but I believe many of the celebrity departures are taking advantage of the chaos.

In recent years, celebrities have had it in their contracts to use social media to promote themselves. Many despise it and feel it is beneath them to have to live-tweet a TV show or post about their personal lives. I get the sense that Elon Musk’s temper tantrums have created an excuse to weasel out of the social media clauses in their contracts.

As someone who uses social media to recruit guests for a podcast, the tone of people I approach on Twitter has changed significantly. Basically, if they are still on Twitter, it is more out of obligation than for enjoyment. And while many can still be approached, it is clear that if there was any other social media outlet that could be used for promotional purposes, they’d leap at it. And if they could do away with being a public person on social media altogether, they’d be in a state of pure bliss.
--
Kevin M. (RPCV)