Fish and Chip Supper

James Prowting

Dec 2, 2022, 12:03:49 PM12/2/22
to Members

I thought I’d let people know that the Chair has agreed to my giving a short recital (15 min max) of a selection of comic/ironic O poems, that were published in every edition of the Happy Herts newsletter, Pacemaker, from 1984 to 1993, at the fish and chip supper. The catalyst was the illustrious Arthur Boyt of Road Kill Cuisine fame (get his book ‘Roadkill’ on Amazon) who persisted in reciting The Lion and Albert (a la Stanley Holloway) on car trips. As he was the newsletter editor, I sent him an ‘Albert Goes Orienteering’ version for the next edition, and thereafter sent further poems (I’ve started so I’ll finish syndrome), which were mostly pastiches of A A Milne and Lewis Carroll poems; all of them about orienteering of course with a good deal of reference to equipment etc used at the time (pin-punches, master maps, ‘pyjama’ O suits etc - historic interest?). Yes, I’ll do the Albert one plus its sequel.

Jim Prowting