Alpha band Jansen Rit

Silvana Huertas

Oct 21, 2022, 12:39:06 PM10/21/22
to TVB Users
Hi,

I have been trying to generate alpha activity using the Jansen-Rit model (Figure 3, subplot 3 from up to down), but I haven't been able to get the alpha band activity with the values from the paper (1995) or the default values of TVB. I also tried changing the values of the model, and I do not see a difference on the output.

Could you help me understand why I'm not getting the expected results? I understand that TVB made some changes to the Jansen-Rit model, however, I don't understand why I can't get the alpha band activity and why the outputs doesn't change when I vary the variables of the model (the J or the m).

I have attached my code.

Thank you so much,

Kind regards,
Silvana
JansenRit_RestingState.py

WOODMAN Michael

Nov 7, 2022, 4:47:36 AM11/7/22
to tvb-...@googlegroups.com

hi,

I noticed you are computing your spectrogram for the wrong sampling frequency in this script: you set fsamp to 1024 but you compute spectrogram on the raw time series which has a fsamp of 16khz.  Redoing this correctly generates a spectrogram with a clear fall off starting around 10 Hz, not quite the alpha bump you're after.  I suspect it's related to noise which you might have too much of: the original paper uses uniformly distributed noise which TVB doesn't support.  Unfortunately, the tails fo the normally distributed noise have a disproportianate effect.  Please try reducing noise to see if it helps generate the alpha bump.

cheers,

Marmaduke