Parameter Exploration in Kuramoto Model

Orestis Stylianou

Aug 10, 2022, 11:18:48 AM8/10/22
to TVB Users
Hello,

I am trying to simulate the brain activity of 46 people for whom I have only their EEG signals. I used a Kuramoto model and did a similar parameter exploration as in "Role of local network oscillations in resting-state functional connectivity - ScienceDirect".

I considered as the most accurate simulation the one with the: i) highest correlation between original and simulated FC matrices and ii) lowest difference of spectral slope between original and simulated power spectra.

The highest correlation I got was 0.06. I attached some of the simulated EEG signals. Obviously, I need to select better parameters. But what I don't know is if I should: i) increase the range of the existing parameters ii) include more parameters or iii) use a different model.

tvb.PNG

Spase Petkoski

Aug 15, 2022, 4:57:36 AM8/15/22
to tvb-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Orestis,

The paper that you are referring to compares FC calculated on BOLD fMRI, not on EEG. What is FC in EEG (which band, which metric) is not as umambigiuous as for BOLD signals.
Also, I haven't seen a work using a KM to model the spectral slope, and I doubt that KM has sufficient realism for that.

You can check here some results on KM for changes of calcium imaging FC in stroke in mice https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnsys.2020.00031/full and for changes in dFC of BOLD in ageing https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.30.474565v1 .

Best regards,
Spase

Orestis Stylianou

Aug 15, 2022, 7:33:20 AM8/15/22
to TVB Users
Hello,

I see... I will try to look into the literature to find a better model then. Thank you!