Seeking beginners advice: how did you learn?

Maria Sundell

Jul 4, 2022, 6:17:07 AM7/4/22
to TVB Users
Hi community!

I'm about to start out learning how to use TVB initially to build a structural and functional connectome based on already existing examples. I would like to plan out my approach by learning more about how you guys figured things out? Especially if you had no previous knowledge of advanced math or programming =)

What sources did you get the most out of?
In what order did you learn different concepts and skills?
What do you think would have helped you out if you would have known it earlier?
What do you believe to be the three most important concepts to understand in the beginning?

I would be really grateful for any input. I believe it's a good start to learn from people who have already mastered the skill.

If anyone would be willing and have the time to give me feedback on my learning along the way that would of course be awesome and greatly appreciated as well =)

/Maria

Courtiol, Julie

Jul 4, 2022, 7:20:57 AM7/4/22
to TVB Users

Dear Maria,

Thank you for your interest in The Virtual Brain!

The Berlin team is currently offering a TVB summer school that was launched last Tuesday. The next online course is tomorrow.

You can register at the link below:

https://www.brainsimulation.org/bsw/zwei/events/single/9651-online-summer-school-the-virtual-brain-in-clinical-research

The sessions would be of great interest for you, in particular the fundamentals of TVB and brain simulations as well as workflows for preprocessing empirical data.

The literature for self-study is also provided. In your case, building structural and functional connectome, I would suggest you to read:

  • Schirner et al. (2015). "An automated pipeline for constructing personalised virtual brains from multimodal neuroimaging data". Neuroimage
  • Schirner et al. (2022). "Brain Simulation as a Cloud Service: The Virtual Brain on the European Research Platform EBRAINS". Neuroimage

There is also the last paper from our Canadian Team:
  • Frazier-Logue et al. (2022). "A Robust Modular Automated Neuroimaging Pipeline for Model Inputs to TheVirtualBrain". Front. Neuroinform.

I also advise you to watch our previous virtual course series available on our BrainModes Youtube channel. In particular, the following courses: MRI processing basics and MRI processing with TVB.

You can find our TVB Image Processing Pipeline on EBRAINS infrastructure here:

I hope all these resources will help you in your learning process!

Best,
Julie

---Best regards,

Dr. Julie Courtiol
Scientific Manager, Brain Simulation Section

1644242313315

Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin
Berlin Institut of Health
Brain Simulation
Robert-Kosh-Platz 4
Charitéplatz 1 | 10117 Berlin | Germany

Jul 4, 2022, 7:26:13 AM7/4/22
to TVB Users
Dear Julie,

Thank you so much for this input. I'll look into these sources. =)

Have a nice day,
/Maria