Pearson correlation coefficient

Wer White

Oct 26, 2021, 3:59:19 AM10/26/21
to TVB Users
Hi!I‘ve run my simulation and the pearson correlation between SFC and EFC is around 0.55 and the pearson correlation between SC and EFC is around 0.41. I wonder whether the result is good or bad? Actually I don't know the universal level.
 I know my question is so stupid but I'm really puzzled for a long time! Looking forward to your reply!

WOODMAN Michael

Oct 26, 2021, 4:19:47 AM10/26/21
to tvb-...@googlegroups.com

Hi

That’s a good result, similar to results in literature, for example, see Fig 3 in [1].  You may wish to do some parameter variation to understand which contribute to the correlation.

Cheers,

Marmaduke

[1] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3718368/

Wer White

Oct 26, 2021, 8:38:42 AM10/26/21
to TVB Users
Thanks, Marmaduke. However, if the correlation is 0.57, the model  is not accurate for analysis of brain diseases. Maybe there is some methods to improve it?

WOODMAN Michael

Oct 26, 2021, 9:54:51 AM10/26/21
to tvb-...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

It is common for models to not match the data perfectly.  There are probably ways to improve the fit, but it is also important to consider whether this correlation at a particular point in parameter space is meaningful for the problem at hand and if it is statistically significant for your dataset.  Maximizing fit with data by tuning parameters is one way of interpreting the data through the model: given a patient and control group, you may find different parameter values maximize correlation, in turn providing a mechanistic (via model) hypothesis for the pathology. This can occur and be meaningful even with correlations in this range.

If you could give more background on the brain disease you’re studying and what model you’re using, perhaps some other experts here could comment on whether this needs to be improved upon before continuing.

Cheers,

Marmaduke