Question about eSC and eFC

Wer White

Oct 5, 2021, 12:15:45 PM10/5/21
to TVB Users

Hi! I'm new to TVB and my question maybe a bit stupid, I'm sorry for it.

Actually I wonder if the correlation between eSC and eFC is higher, the correlation between eFC and sFC will be higher, too.  However, in my project, the correlation between eSC and eFC is about 0.28....and the correlation between eFC and sFC is about 0.02....

I use Generic 2d ocsillator model and set a=1.70, the coupling scaling strength G is set 0.03.

Looking forward for your reply! Please forgive my stupid question!

Julie Courtiol

Oct 5, 2021, 12:46:51 PM10/5/21
to tvb-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

At resting-state, it was demonstrated that the best-fit point between the empirical vs simulated FC is also the best-fit point between the empirical SC and simulated FC.
To find the best-fit point, you need to perform a parameter space exploration using the control parameters of the model.

If you use the Generic 2D oscillator, these parameters could be a (bifurcation parameter), G (global coupling strength) and if you are using a stochastic scheme, the standard deviation of the noise.

I hope this helps.
---
Best regards,

Dr. Julie Courtiol

Wer White

Oct 5, 2021, 7:41:30 PM10/5/21
to TVB Users
Dear Juile, thanks for your reply! It's really help!
Besides, I wonder whether each kind of model, such as reduced wang wong, and wilson-cowan, has its bifurcation parameter?  Actually when I simulate with reduced wang wong, it seems the resting-state does not appear and the sFC is too strong.....while the G is very low.

Julie Courtiol

Oct 6, 2021, 12:07:10 PM10/6/21
to tvb-...@googlegroups.com
Did you identify a range of values of G where the FC switches from poorly correlated to strongly?
Then you have to refine the step of the interval to identify the bifurcation.

---
Best regards,

Dr. Julie Courtiol

Message has been deleted

Wer White

Oct 6, 2021, 8:37:32 PM10/6/21
to TVB Users
Thanks, Juile. I've change G from 0 to 1, the step is 0.1 and get all results bad. I use scaling coupling strength, the range of it is 0-1.

So I guess if SC matters and I've read ' Identification of Optimal Structural Connectivity Using Functional Connectivity and Neural Modeling ' , I wonder whether the code of iterative-fitting algorithm is open-source? Or there are any other methods to optimize SC to make the result better?

I know my question is rather stupid but how can i do that?

Julie Courtiol

Oct 8, 2021, 4:32:46 AM10/8/21
to tvb-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Maybe you should use a larger range of values for the coupling strength.

TVB is a modeling and simulation platform. We are only providing some basics analysis tools. So you have to export the TVB data for doing more complex analysis.

Usually, authors provide a link in the paper if the code is available or if you can ask upon request.

Best,

Dr. Julie Courtiol
Scientific Lab Manager
Brain Simulation Section