PSE failure - void data

nskplta

Nov 10, 2023, 8:13:43 AM11/10/23
to TVB Users
Hi,

trying to run simple PSE simulation following "Building your own brain Network Model" tutorial, simulation ends with apparently no errors, but Discrete PSE visualizer appears void of points and data.

Which could be the reason and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Belén.

Lia Domide

Nov 16, 2023, 11:21:26 AM11/16/23
to TVB Users
Hi Belen,

Can you show us how the last step in configuring a PSE looks on your side (similar with my screenshot)?
Please notice the temporary display in the top-right corner of a message with the number of operations about to be launched by the current configuration.

Have you waited until the PSE steps are all done ?
You can see if operations are still running by going to the Project -> Operations page and looking to see if rows still have color blue or yellow (running / scheduled for execution).
Only when the PSE row becomes green (executed successfully) the PSE visualizers  will show you the results.
You should not stop TVB while the PSE is still running (blue).

If you do not want to wait too long, try with a smaller range (e.g. 5 x 5) first.

Best,
Lia

PSE.jpg

nskplta

Nov 17, 2023, 11:20:55 AM11/17/23
to TVB Users
Hi Lia,

Thanks for your answer, I include the screenshots below:
sim1.png
Simulation time was reduced and STEP for coupling increased due to computation limitations (through EBRAINS).
ops.png

PSE operation finished.

pse.png

Void PSE visualizer.

Thanks,

Belén.

Lia Domide

Nov 20, 2023, 4:41:01 AM11/20/23
to TVB Users
Hi Belen,

Thanks for these.
There seem to be a problem in our viewer.
Is this the EBRAINS installation that you are using, or is it a local TVB_Distribution?

Also, could you please try a PSE over a simulation that does not have EEG Monitor selected ?

Best,
Lia

nskplta

Nov 20, 2023, 10:43:09 AM11/20/23
to TVB Users
Hi Lia,

yes, I am using the EBRAINS installation.

Data in the PSE now appear when removing the EEG Monitor, however I doubt the result makes any sense (different to the tutorial's, and with simulation time=1000ms instead of 2000ms), the screenshot:

pse2.png

Do you know what is now happening to the data?
Thanks again,

Belén.

Lia Domide

Nov 20, 2023, 11:49:38 AM11/20/23
to TVB Users
Hi Belen,

You can now go back to get closer to the tutorial (e.g. put the simulation length back to 2s).
Dropping the EEG Monitor should not be of much effect, in my opinion, as the GlobalVariance (and other metrics) were anyway computed on each TS individually (separated on the TS_TemporalAverage and separate on TS_EGG).
Maybe also look at the result in the Discreet PSE Viewer ?

Best,
Lia

nskplta

Nov 21, 2023, 4:22:21 AM11/21/23
to TVB Users
Hi Lia,

The screenshot from the Discrete PSE visualizer I attached, as well as the Isocline PSE, are useless for discriminating parameter values.

I cannot extend the simulation to 2s due to resources restrictions in the EBRAINS installation I am using.

So, you think that by extending the simulation time (i.e. in a local TVB installation), results in the PSE would be similar to the tutorial and hence useful?

Thanks,

Belén.