Is it possible to visualise EEG data on model from MRI?

Maria Sundell

Apr 1, 2022, 3:09:25 AM4/1/22
to TVB Users
Dear community,

Thank you for being here, sharing, teaching and helping out. I'm new both to research and TVB so despite looking through support materials I'm having trouble understanding if my vision is possible to do through the system. I'd like to:

1. Take a resting MRI scan of an individual (we have ax_DWI, T1/T2 flair (BRAVO/SWAN),  isotropic image) and create a brain model for this individual
2. Use data collected from a wearable EEG device (MUSE) where I have RAW values from TP9, AF7, AF8, TP10, AUXR, spectrogram as well as absolute band powers and then visualise this on the brain model.

I'm interested in testing if the individuals "EEG image" for relaxing or other activity differs from focused attention meditation or loving kindness meditation.

Please don't hesitate to ask if anything is unclear. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Maria Sundell

mmwoodman

Apr 1, 2022, 3:22:15 AM4/1/22
to TVB Users
hi

It's possible to visualize EEG data on the brain network model with source imaging techniques, for instance, but these are not implemented by TVB rather by packages such as MNE-Python.  Given the number of electrodes, it seems unlikely that the standard techniques such as minimum norm or beamforming would work well, as they are usually used with at least 64 electrodes across the scalp.

It would be pertinent to identify first on the EEG data itself what differences you see between the conditions (e.g. focused attention associated with gamma band), reconstruct the TVB model with one of the available pipelines, and then tune parameters in TVB to reproduce the differences in EEG that you see between conditions.

cheers,
Marmaduke