Using the Epileptor for scalp EEG

christina

Jan 9, 2022, 7:29:59 PM1/9/22
to TVB Users
Hi all,

We are new to the TVB and would like to use the Epileptor model with scalp EEG data instead of stereo EEG data.
We are wondering whether this is even possible or is it not advisable (given the lack of ability to input boundary parameters)?
I have searched the docs but unable to find information on this.
Apologies if this question has been previously answered elsewhere.

Thanks,
Christina

WOODMAN Michael

Jan 10, 2022, 3:39:43 AM1/10/22
to tvb-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On 1/10/2022 1:29 AM, christina wrote:

> We are new to the TVB and would like to use the Epileptor model with
> scalp EEG data instead of stereo EEG data.
> We are wondering whether this is even possible or is it not advisable
> (given the lack of ability to input boundary parameters)?
Yes, it is perfectly possible to do this. We don't have it as a
tutorial, since as you might imagine, it is more difficult to observe
the detail of seizures and their propagation from the scalp. This may
not be important to your application e.g. matching spectral power.

It may however be important to compute a proper forward solution for the
EEG, where it is frequently stated that e.g. a 3-shell BEM based on the
individual's MRI should be used, which TVB does not do for you. These
can be computed with MNE-Python or Brainstorm and exported for use in
TVB, by first doing your simulations with the raw or temporal average
monitor, applying the gain matrix from Brainstorm and then processing
the resulting EEG as you wish.

cheers,
Marmaduke

christina

Jan 10, 2022, 5:53:18 AM1/10/22
to TVB Users
Great to know, we will give it a try using the forward solution.
Thank you for your help!

Cheers,
Christina