Installing TVB on macOS

Jeehye An

Nov 18, 2021, 3:45:17 PM11/18/21
to TVB Users

Hi,

I'm trying to install TVB on a macOS (Big Sur 11.6 with M1 chip). When I try to configure user settings I get an error - "An unexpected exception appeared. Please check the log files" as shown in the screenshot attached below.

I've also attached the 4 log files under .tvb-temp/logs directory.

+ another issue I had was - when I put path to MATLAB (/Applications/MATLAB_R2021b.app) it didn't recognize it. But I guess it's a minor issue at this point

Best, Jeehye

Untitled.png
library.log
web_application.log
cherrypy.log

Lia Domide

Nov 18, 2021, 5:05:08 PM11/18/21
to TVB Users
Hi Jeehye,

Please quickly try to:
- double click "tvb_clean" command under TVB_Distribution,
- then restart,
- and directly remove the matlab path if that is automatically filled
- click button apply on the right
- now wait for tvb to relaunch and try the default credentials (admin/pass).

Let us know if these work for you!

Best,
Lia

Jeehye An

Nov 19, 2021, 10:45:33 AM11/19/21
to TVB Users
Dear Lia,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried but it didn't solve the problem :( Also Matlab path is empty by default

Best,
Jeehye

Lia Domide

Nov 19, 2021, 6:55:37 PM11/19/21
to TVB Users
Hi Jeehye,

Could you please tell me on your settings page what is the value you try for “Root folder for all projects:” ?
It should not be a folder under /Applications, but preferably under your user home, for example “/Users/lia.domide/TVB/“ and this folder does not need to exist upfront.

Best,
Lia.

Jeehye An

Nov 20, 2021, 4:24:00 AM11/20/21
to tvb-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Lia,

it's the default one - /Users/jeehyean/TVB
I set all the settings to default. I did follow the instructions closely (also tried a few different settings, with tvb_clean.command in between each) but nothing worked.

Best, Jeehye

WOODMAN Michael

Nov 22, 2021, 3:23:49 AM11/22/21
to tvb-...@googlegroups.com

hi

What version of macOS are you using?

Nov 22, 2021, 3:42:06 AM11/22/21
to TVB Users
Hi,
as noted above I'm using Big Sur 11.6 (with M1 chip)

WOODMAN Michael

Nov 22, 2021, 4:25:21 AM11/22/21
to tvb-...@googlegroups.com

Hi

I wasn’t able to reproduce the problem on a M1 laptop with 11.6 with the TVB 2.4.1 distribution.  Maybe just to check, you have free space on your hard drive?

The log files you posted mention a TEMP folder that should be present when you first run the TVB with the settings.  Can you try the clean command, and additionally run “rm -r ~/.tvb.configuration ~/TVB ~/.tvb-temp” in the Terminal, and then try to start TVB again?

Cheers,

Marmaduke

Jeehye An

Nov 22, 2021, 9:51:56 AM11/22/21
to TVB Users
Dear Marmaduke,

I tried it again today and it works! Thanks a lot for all your support!

Best,
Jeehye