Mpi Nascar Wheel

Charise Scrivner

Jul 26, 2024, 12:35:41 AM (yesterday) Jul 26
to Tuxedo Tools Users

I didn't see any post related to Nascar Heat 5. And after researching the settings for GT7 to give myself a starting point. thank you to Maurice, and Robert. I used there recommend settings. Then I dialed in these settings from adjustments i made based on my personal preferences.

These settings are not official Fanatec settings. ( but for Nascar Heat 5. Fanatec has no official settings. Which is odd because I bought my Fanatec products because of the Nascar 5 in game advertisement Fanatec runs )

This setting is a preference setting. either this setting or DPR gives the wheel a heavier feeling. And in Nascar a heavier wheel feels right to me. I like it anywhere from 90-120. 120 with Nascar. i keep it at 90 with GT7

This setting to me makes a big difference. I also like it at OFF. When set to OFF I get resistance in the wheel from the direction i'm turning into. When set anywhere above off, 10-100 I get resistance in the wheel from the center point of my steering axis. and the intensitity of that force is related to how high i set the number. This setting is difficult to explain. To me it feels related to the center spring effect on the in game settings. i think this is a personal preference setting. On GT7 I keep SPR above 30.

Sign In with Fanatec US RegisterSign In with Fanatec USSign In with Fanatec Australia RegisterSign In with Fanatec AustraliaSign In with Fanatec Japan RegisterSign In with Fanatec JapanSign In with Fanatec Europe RegisterSign In with Fanatec Europe

Originally posted by shaggy
A...
At first I thought that it may have something to do with ovals; but, they drive the same way on road courses.
It would appear to me that with your arms straight out, as is done in CART and F1, you would have more control and faster reaction times.

Am I missing something obvious or what ? Does anyone know a good reason for this "technique" ?

shaggy

Originally posted by shaggy
As opposed to open wheel drivers, Nascar drivers sit way too close to the wheel.

In CART and F1, the drivers sit so far back that their arms are practically straight into the wheel (which is how i drive). On the other hand, in Nascar, all the drivers sit so close that their forearms are at 90 degrees to the wheel - their elbows almost touch the lower part of the steering wheel.

Is there a reason for this ?

shaggy

Originally posted by wati

That's not true. If you take a closer look, you'll notice that in F1 the drivers also have the steering wheel very close to them. If you are closer to the wheel you have better control, you can react faster than with arms straight.

Wattie

Originally posted by shaggy
As opposed to open wheel drivers, Nascar drivers sit way too close to the wheel.

In CART and F1, the drivers sit so far back that their arms are practically straight into the wheel (which is how i drive). On the other hand, in Nascar, all the drivers sit so close that their forearms are at 90 degrees to the wheel - their elbows almost touch the lower part of the steering wheel.

Is there a reason for this ?

At first I thought that it may have something to do with ovals; but, they drive the same way on road courses.
It would appear to me that with your arms straight out, as is done in CART and F1, you would have more control and faster reaction times.

Am I missing something obvious or what ? Does anyone know a good reason for this "technique" ?

shaggy

The NASCAR NextGen car will feature a wheel with a single lug nut instead of the five-lug pattern that has been a NASCAR mainstay. While some decried the switch from tradition, this change was necessitated by physics, not form.

The Physics of NASCAR is 15 years old. One component in getting a book deal is a healthy subscriber list. I promise not to send more than two emails per month and will never sell your information to anyone.

If you look at the single lug center lock wheels on a Porsche 911 GT3 they require a special socket, its not a standard hexagonal nut. If you look at the nuts on F1 or sports cars its is even more specialized for speed.

No, the 18-inch tire does not have an inner liner per Goodyear. Because the tires have the same outer diameter, but a larger innert diameter, they are much lower-profile than previous tires. More to come on this and thank you for the question!

I've been looking for info without to much luck on when wheels changed in NASCAR. They started with stock steelies then went to a 5 hole wheel and I believe to a 9 hole wheel then finally to a 8 hole wheel. Does anyone know a time frame of when these changes took place? I'm working of several 80's era cars and want to have the correct wheels for them.

Steelies went to about 1972-73, then five slot wheels until about 1980. Five hole and nine hole wheels came in around 1979-80, and the five-holes were used to around 1988. There are no real hard and fast dates on the earlier wheels, because I am certain you can find pictures of later cars running earlier wheels (independent teams trying to make every last cent count). I believe the five holes disappeared because so many were chrome-plated, and NASCAR banned chrome wheels due to difficulties in detecting cracks in the metal.

Thanks, I've noticed a lot of pics of the older cars with newer style wheels but it appears they are restored cars. I'll rely on pics of the actual raced cars then they should be as accurate as I can get then...

I recently started a build of the Salvinos 83 Lemans and noticed the car on the box (real car) has 5 hole wheels on it but the kit comes with 9 hole, I'm also building Davey Allison's rookie car 87 T-Bird and that kit came with 5 hole wheels but every pic of the car I find has 9 hole wheels so I'll just swap the wheels on the 2 kits... Thanks again...

Yes a bit diffuse when they changed and some teams used older wheels longer than others.
Back in the 80's all the Monogram Ford NASCAR kits came with 5-hole wheels and the GM cars like Buick, Olds, Pontiac and Chevy had 9-hole wheels all chrome plated, and I believe that changed sometime in the 90's to the 8-hole design they use today...most likely sometime around when chrome plated wheels was banned.
One thing is clear, the wheels they use now will disappear when the next genearation (generation 7) cars comes in 2022 and they will go to 18 inch BBS aluminum wheels with center bolt.

Yes, and all the other changes they plan to do with the next generation cars they will do away with everything that was left of what was special and significant to NASCAR racing and made it stand out from other racing series, so NASCAR Cup will be like most of the other saloon car racing series...but on ovals...kind of boring if you ask me.
Well enough ranting and back to the subject.

One strange thing was that the 9-spoke wheels were a tad smaller: 17.5 instead of 17.7 mm. This meant that my 5-spoke tires were a loose fit, I could fit two layers of paper between the wheel and tire.

If you're an IMCA hobby stock or street stock racer, Bassett's collection of DOT-approved racing wheels are for you. They feature the same quality CNC Spun Form construction and high strength of our NASCAR SFI 35.2 certified wheel. Bassett DOT wheels are also the lightest on the market.

Since the wheels conform to the DOT specifications, they are legal for the street! When outfitting your car or truck with custom wheels, don't settle for lower quality knock-offs. Bassett Racing Wheels are race track tough.

ATTENTION: Bassett Racing Wheels are lug-centric, which means the wheel is constructed and trued off of the bolt circle. DO NOT USE HUB RINGS or attempt to balance wheels off the hub bore. Visit the Bassett Racing Wheel FAQ page for directions on locating a tire shop that can correctly balance a lug centric wheel.

Instead of an automatic four-race suspension for two pit crew members and the crew chief, the penalty will be instead be based on whether the wheel came off the car while on pit road, on the racetrack, and whether the race is under a green flag or yellow flag.

Last season, regardless of when or where a wheel came off the car, the guilty team was given an automatic four-race suspension. Not only were the two crew members sidelined, but the crew chief was also suspended.

Last year, there were 14 penalties issued for wheels coming off a car during a race. Kaulig Racing was the only repeat offender, as the No. 31 team was penalized after the Daytona 500 and the spring Kansas Speedway race.

I would just run a set of painted steel wheels, if that is what you are after.

But you aren't likely to fit 15s due to your brakes or be able to run any sort of dish to it unless you run flares or hang most of the rubber outside the wheelwell.