.bgsm File

Charise Scrivner

Jul 25, 2024, 3:31:26 AM (3 days ago) Jul 25
to Tuxedo Tools Users

I'm attempting to add some custom holotapes to go with my mod, and add them into the game as objects in the game world for the player to discover/collect. I have a custom retexture ready (that took way too long to make)

I've read up as much as I can find regarding doing this, and had a few people briefly explain how to, but can't find the vanilla .bgsm file for the holotapes anywhere, and am left a bit stumped at how to proceed.

.bgsm file

DOWNLOADhttps://byltly.com/2zNixq

It's left me a little confused, and admittedly a little disheartened. If someone would be so kind as to provide me some helpful info regarding making the custom holotapes an object in the game, I'd be very grateful.

Already have material editor but wasn't sure how to proceed with things, and only got as far as being able to preview (by adding it to the .nif) how the retexture looked on the mesh in Nifskope - useful, as I found that I had some issues that needed fixing up

Didn't realize that the newest version of Nifskope had an 'archive browser' tab - that'll really come in handy. I guess this means that I can delete the Meshes.ba2 archive that I made and free up some space on my drive?

After I've done this, is the texture supposed to appear on the mesh in the preview pane? It's just I'm only seeing the blank mesh, and don't know if this is normal behaviour for nifskope, or if it's indicative of something going wrong?

I tried adding my custom texture paths to Textures in BSShaderTextureSet my custom texture is visible in the preview pane although only when I add the diffuse file path. When I also add the normal file path the texture disappears, as does the mesh. Is that meant to happen?

You probably still need to set nifscope up to read your loose files. Not on my gaming PC but you set that in the same place where you tell it to read the BSA's and Ba2's. I think it's under files instead of archives.

I've googled everything that I could think of, watched videos, so on and can't seem to find an answere. I've compared files with other files and other files and all appears to be "correct" but they obviously are not.

So... I created my custom meshes. They mesh, the textures, everything appears in NifSkope and in the CreationKit. It looks perfect. But when I load up the game nothing is there at all. My main node is a BSFadeNode... every other node is a BsTriShape or BSMesh(something) node. No Ni nodes at all. Everything is linked to the main node. Everything has its own name. Every TriShape has a lightingshader with a BStexture (cant think of the proper name for it at the moment) attached to it. All of the textures are attached to their individual shaders which are attached to their individual TriShapes....

Does anyone know what could make none of this show up in game? Everything else that I did via the CreationKit shows up in game (Fallout 4 if that matters) but the custom .nif is none-existant in game. I'm going to sleep... I need to make some serious progress with the DynDOLOD tutorial tomorrow now that I"m feeling a bit better.

Tried it. Didn't work. If you care to take a look at the nif itself I uploaded this one to my google drive. I feel like I either don't know how to properly link to the parent or something is wrong with the lighting property. I'm completely out of ideas. I'll happily try anything suggested lol.

Actually this sounds familiar. Someone contacted me just a few days ago with the exact same issue. We looked at the NIF (it was about as messy as this ) and they said it wasn't showing up. I just viewed it in the CK viewer (right-click open with) and it looks fine - bar the missing textures I don't have extracted. There is something the creator of the file is doing wrong, but I'm not exactly sure what will get it to show. This is why I won't create huge files with lots of blocks because you WILL have a bad day if you get it wrong just a slight bit. You don't seem to be pointing anything to the .BGSM amterial files either (I mean it isn't mandatory but it's what they do) and some of the texture blocks are missing the _n and s_ files. On top of this there are BSMeshLODTriShapes. In Skyrim these required extra flags on the parent node and in the unknown data underneath it. If you can find a rock file or something that has these LOD shapes in and compare it, that might help.

It's crazy. I created this thing (and a lot more than just what you see in this nif provided lol) 3 times over trying to figure out my mistakes. I tried pointing some files to .bgsm just to see if pieces would show up but they didn't. If I point the name/string to a bgsm then I loose the ability to use the textureset. It ends up giving priority to the bgsm instead (and still didn't seem to work). It appeared that I didn't need a texture set at all if using bgsm (but again doesn't show up still for me) but then I don't get to pick and choose different textures for specific pieces of the puzzle (other than different bgsm files I assume).

That's actually what I want to do now after my initial failures lol.. I created the entire house... i mean all of it lol... now I'm doing level 1 and level 2 separately and then creating the other smaller bits (storage container models, so on) on their own. I just have to figure out what I'm doing wrong first. If the bsmesh doesn't work I may just stat over 1 final time lol (after the first two blunders I actually wrote done, in note pad, the form id's for every single item so that I can just quickly extract them via xEdit if I need the meshes again and deleted them. I also know all of the textures that I want by heart at this point so no big deal there either).

So just for "ha-ha's" i loaded a nif from the game (BldWoodBSmFlrOnly02) into NifSkope. Saved the wood flooring piece without doing anything to it. Put a bunch of them in the ck, saved it, loaded it in game and you cannot see it in game lol. I literally did nothing to the file except save it. Loaded it into the creation kit via static objects with a new name, added this new object to the world space, saved and went in game to check it out... Maybe I am importing it to the CK wrong.

I had a problem with a flat plane not picking up the BGSM and that was somehow making it invisible. I just got bored and did it manually without the BGSM. It's weird because a few months ago I made some edits to a vanilla model and had no trouble. This seems weird as hell. :O_o:

What an odd issue. Does everything else you place in the CK appear? And these are only static items, not having any messed up collision boxes making them float underneath the ground or something? This is a problem I would think more common if you were importing and exporting from another program (like 3DS Max). Are all the texture flags the same as on a corresponding vanilla mesh? Can you walk where this object is supposed to be in-game (i.e. is the collision part of the mesh working)?

Everything that I do via the CK shows up in game. If I search through the items in the CK everything that I add shows up. If I remove things they are gone. The issue has actually taken up way more of my time than I had hoped LOL... way too much time.

The ShaderFlags? I dont even know how to use those = ) ... but I went through a lot of the nif files to see that the "mashup" had the same settings as they did other than the string being remove so that I can add a shadertextureset ... however, even with the string in place i can't see anything.

I'm not sure if I have collision set up at all for it? Though, I took a nif file straight from the game (extracted via xEdit) openned it in Nifskope then saved it (i did nothing to it) and the file that was saved via NifSkope, when I place it in the CK, does not show up in game. Exact same object from the CK doesn't work after I saved the file via NifSkope without changing a single thing to it... again, I am brand new to modeling, meshes, mod creation so I can't really give any more info than I know too.

I forgot about that Astakos, thanks for the reminder. I did actually tell him to re-precombine "for a laugh" in my last post, but it sounded stupid so I edited it out. Maybe actually worth a try buddy? It's under Visibility at the top.

Is all that is needed is a material swap? Or do I need a full blown model (NIF - that could be copied from the source), BGSM etc? All I have right now is a new DDS texture file that I believe goes in Fallout 4\Data\Textures\ModName directory but been looking up how to do the BGSM file Creation Kit can use. I think it may be the latter as looking at Blamco Mac n Cheese is listed as 2 separate entries:

Click on the mesh in NifSkope and you will see that the left panel highlights the TriShape heading for the section of mesh, click the area to be retextured, click the little arrow on the left panel highlighted TriShape which will open another heading beneath that BSLightingShaderProperty.

It's a good idea to already have the new textures ready to copy and paste, click on BSShaderTextureSet and you will see the texture paths, click on them, paste your new textures and "save as", rename the mesh so it doesn't override the original ingame.

I would advice against this method. It seams buggy (not always swapping in some cases) & you can't save it or anything. (So you would need to repeat the whole process each .ESP / mod where you wish to use it.)

2b: instead of swapping the BGSM, you could 'empty' the string (no material reference) and just replace the linked textures for your own textures. It works, but its bad/lazy practice imho. (& you won't be able to use a material swap for the object inside CK, as there is no material assigned. (note: You can never swap textures, only material with CK)

4a15465005