How old is the last SDK version?

Dinkelborg

Apr 20, 2015, 4:50:50 AM4/20/15
to turbulenz-e...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm new here,
during a research project on different WebGL engines turbulenz raised my attention although for time matters I had to keep it out of my analysis.
However, now I got the opportunity to create a WebGL application and turbulenz came back to my mind, but as I'm trying to install the SDK right now, I was prompted,
that python 3.4 is not supported.

This opened the question if turbulenz is still active...
The turbulenz webpage does not show off a lot of games anymore and I see a lot of posts on this "forum" date back to 2014...
Python them self state on their website "Python 2.x is legacy, Python 3.x is the present and future of the language"
So how old is the latest SDK and how frequently does it still get updated.

Sorry if the question seems a bit rough, I'd love to invest time to get into developing with turbulenz,
but this project requires me to use the best possible resource.

Thanks for any answer in advance.

PS: Where is that low poly - style plane demo gone ... does anybody know?

Ian Ballantyne

May 11, 2015, 5:34:47 AM5/11/15
to turbulenz-e...@googlegroups.com
The Turbulenz Engine available from https://github.com/turbulenz/turbulenz_engine is the latest public version of the engine. It is in a stable state and suitable for development but is not currently receiving regular updates. The team are still actively working on the Turbulenz Engine for use in "The Marvellous Miss Take" and "Oort Online" and are always happy to answer technical questions you might have related to using the engine. Despite this the Turbulenz Engine is still pushing the limits of what is capable in WebGL in the browser with our currently developed games, so it is certainly worth checking out.

As for Python, the tools were written when Python 2.X was the most stable option. I doubt at this time they would be converted to use Python 3 as Python 2.7 provides most of the required features from Python 3 that they need. It is only required for the build tools and local server btw so should be of minimum impact.

Most examples (with the exception of Oort and Miss Take) are available for free on ga.me so take a look. The plane demo you are asking about isn't actually one of ours, but you can find it on the chrome web store.