Official releases moved to GitHub and packagecloud / APT repository now available

DRC

Dec 1, 2023, 3:24:22 PM12/1/23
to turbovn...@googlegroups.com, turbovnc...@googlegroups.com, turbovn...@googlegroups.com
TurboVNC was originally hosted entirely on SourceForge. In response to
a weeks-long SourceForge Subversion outage in 2015, I moved our code
repository and issue trackers to GitHub. I then moved our mailing lists
to Google Groups in 2017 because SourceForge removed the ability for
project admins to view/manage mailing list subscribers. However, I
continued to host our official releases on SourceForge because I didn't
have time to move them and because of the lack of good (free)
alternatives for YUM repository hosting. SourceForge has unfortunately
become more flaky in recent years, and on multiple occasions, our
releases have temporarily disappeared, I have temporarily been unable to
upload a new release, and the YUM repository has temporarily become
unusable. The latter two issues both re-occurred in the last two weeks,
which prompted me to finally bite the bullet and abandon SourceForge.

Fortunately packagecloud is generously providing free hosting for our
new YUM repository, and their platform allows me to host an APT
repository as well. Although GitHub lacks some of the features that I
liked about the SourceForge file release system (such as tracking the
number of downloads in an arbitrary date range for each file and
directory, hosting arbitrary directory structures, and file/directory
management via SSH and SCP), the upside of hosting official releases on
a more stable site that already hosts our code and trackers outweighs
the downsides.

Refer to:
https://TurboVNC.org/Downloads/YUM
for instructions regarding the use of the new YUM and APT repositories.

All of the files that were previously hosted on SourceForge are now
provided as assets under the associated TurboVNC release:
https://github.com/TurboVNC/turbovnc/releases
All relevant notes from the README files on SourceForge (e.g. change
logs for the packages themselves) have been incorporated into the GitHub
release notes.

Existing releases (3.1 and earlier) will remain available on SourceForge
and in the old (SourceForge-hosted) YUM repository, but new releases
from this point on will be uploaded only to GitHub and packagecloud.

Please let me know if you have any questions or encounter any issues.

DRC