Multiplayer? Is it even possible?

yohojones

Mar 10, 2011, 10:15:54 PM3/10/11
to TurboRisk
This games is a million times better than any game Hasbro has
released. The only feature lacking is some kind of multiplayer. Am I
the only person who would love this in the game?

Chiel ten Brinke

Mar 11, 2011, 3:40:37 AM3/11/11
to turb...@googlegroups.com, yohojones
you mean multiplayer over a LAN/internet?

Brad Avery

Mar 11, 2011, 6:57:56 AM3/11/11
to Chiel ten Brinke, turb...@googlegroups.com
Yea.

Emil

Mar 16, 2011, 3:52:25 AM3/16/11
to TurboRisk
Well, in theory, it's already possible. You can take 1 turn, and then
e-mail the save file, though that's admittedly not very practical or
fast.

On 11 Mar., 12:57, Brad Avery <brad.av...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yea.
>
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 2:40 AM, Chiel ten Brinke <ctenbri...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > you mean multiplayer over a LAN/internet?

Chiel ten Brinke

Mar 16, 2011, 7:36:20 AM3/16/11
to turb...@googlegroups.com, Emil
I don't know in which language/framework TR is programmed, but of course, it should be possible to write some server-client script. But i fear that it is not on top of the priority list of Mario, which of course is comprehensive.

To get round this, one could suggest to make TR kind of opensource....?

GeneralAdmission

Jan 23, 2013, 1:07:28 PM1/23/13
to turb...@googlegroups.com
yes, you can use the saved game approach, and then share the saved file using Google Drive.

However, i have found that you can only save the game when you finish your turn, and the prompt is up for the next human player to start their turn.

This is ok, except if there is an eligible set of cards to turn in, you have to respond or close this dialog box before saving the game. Then when that player opens the saved game, he is not prompted to turn in the set of cards and there seems to be no way to bring that dialog box up again.

if you could get past that bug, then using google drive and saved games would work, but of course not as nice as an actual online/interactive game.

The way to get around this is to have an option that you can turn on that asks if you want to save the game immediately after you end your turn, or immediately before the next human player is to start their turn.

......r

Mario

Jan 23, 2013, 1:35:27 PM1/23/13
to turb...@googlegroups.com
True, in the current version you can save the game only at the very beginning of a turn, after having traded in your cards - if you're eligible to - and before placing any army in your territories.

I agree that this prevents any form of multiplayer-by-sending-saved-games, however I suspect that it won't be a very practical option in any case. LAN/Internet multiplayer would obviously be the right choice, but this is a major modification I don't plan to do in this period (which could be rather long).

Menawhile, you can play online using Nathan's www.dominating12.com :-)

Open Source: I'd be definitely happy to make TurboRisk open source. It's already a sort of collective project, the result of many efforts from people who wrote the TRPs and dedicated a huge amount of time in testing TurboRisk. I have no experience at all with open source: don't know which license to use, how to release the code, how to manage the project... Does anybody volunteer to help me? TurboRisk is programmed in Delphi, but writing code is just a part of the job, there's plenty of possibilities to help with the documentation, maps, TRPs etc.

Mario

Chiel ten Brinke

Jan 23, 2013, 1:41:35 PM1/23/13
to turb...@googlegroups.com
The most common opensource license is the GNU license. http://www.gnu.org/licenses/
A good way to start making it opensource, is creating a public repository on, say, github. https://github.com/
That way, anyone can download the source code, make modifications and upload the changes again.

Assimilator1

Feb 17, 2013, 9:49:51 AM2/17/13
to turb...@googlegroups.com
I always thought it was odd that TR didn't have a MP option from the start, I'd love to have that option! :).
Sending saved games would be a right PITA, not to mention I don't really understand what their on about as to when you save it.........

Brian Andrews

Dec 13, 2014, 4:03:17 PM12/13/14
to turb...@googlegroups.com, brad....@gmail.com
Hi Mario,

Have you further considered releasing this as opensource?

Mario Ferrari

Dec 14, 2014, 4:48:07 AM12/14/14
to turb...@googlegroups.com, brad....@gmail.com
Hi Brian, hi all

First of all, let me say that I'm very pleased to see that there still so much interest around TurboRisk! Thank you for supporting TR so much.

Yes, I did actually consider releasing TR as open source. And I'm definitely in favor of this option.

There are a couple of reasons for I did not do it yet:

1. I think the source code needs some changes to be made clearer. Well, I think it's well-structured and well organized, but some comments and some variable names are still in Italian...
I started translating them years ago, but I never finished, and so the source code is in a somewhat hybrid situation.

2. I planned to move the code from Delphi to Lazarus/Free Pascal, because the second is free, open source and multi-platform (Win, OSX, Linux and more). I also planned to convert maps to vector graphics to make them scalable, thus more suitable for mobile devices. But I didn’t do any of those.

That being said, I admit that - at this point - releasing it "as is" is a better option that not releasing it at all :-)

During the next X-mas holidays I will start moving TR to open source. Do any of you have any experience in that? I have not, any suggestion would be highly appreciated!

Mario

Chiel ten Brinke

Dec 14, 2014, 5:27:40 AM12/14/14
to turb...@googlegroups.com, brad....@gmail.com
Even though I'm not really into TurboRisk anymore, if I can help setting up this as open source project I would like to.
Especially because I remember myself suggesting to make TR open source a few years ago ;)

Apart from the things that Mario already mentioned, there are other things that need to be done, first of which is choosing a version management system and a repository hosting service.
From my own experience and because it is the most popular and most actively developed hosting service in open-source-world, I warmly recommend using git in combination with github.com.
This makes it very easy to use and contribute to the project.

--
Hai ricevuto questo messaggio perché sei iscritto al gruppo "TurboRisk" di Google Gruppi.
Per annullare l'iscrizione a questo gruppo e non ricevere più le sue email, invia un'email a turborisk+...@googlegroups.com.

Brian Andrews

Dec 14, 2014, 1:12:54 PM12/14/14
to turb...@googlegroups.com, brad....@gmail.com
Hello Mario,

I am pleased to see a response from you.

I believe that as a first step to all of these is in fact to have a proper version management system. I agree with Chiel that in my experience (limited to languages that are not pascal) git is the most robust option. Further I would also reccomend the GPL as a license for your project, (as Chiel also previously reccomended). A brief comparison of liscenses is available here http://choosealicense.com/licenses/

If you are not against you can also designate someone to upload the source files to github and set the project up in correct folder structure. This would free you up to work on other project considerations.

Brian